Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jackaroe, May 15, 2002.

1. jackaroe

jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    I've only been playin for around 5 months, and just upgraded to a Yamaha BBN5 that i found pretty decent off ebay. Its my first time playin a 5, and i like it alot better. But sometimes theres like a metalic-ring/clang when i fret w/my left. Am i holding to hard or is something faulty?

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Does it happen on all the strings? Does it happen when you play open strings or just when you fret?

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    It's hard to say - could you possibly give us more details?

If the noise didn't show up with your last bass, it likely isn't a technique problem. Sounds like your bass may need a setup job.

4. jackaroe

jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    it was basically just the 3d string, but its not that big of a deal. It doesn't happen all the time. I have a very stupid question though. Starting with the top string and going down, if played open what would be the notes?

5. Probably B E A D G

6. Thinnest=G
    Next=D
    Next=A
    Next=E
    Thickest=B

Is that what you mean?

It might be that the action is too low so that the string(s) hit the frets as the vibrate. So, how high is the action. That is, what's the distance between the underside of all the strings and the top of the last fret? They all should be nearly the same and, as a rough guide, you might be looking at 3 or 4 millimeters. Check the Yamaha web site. They supply online manuals for their basses. They're not that comprehensive, but setup dimensions are provided, I believe, with basic details as to how to set up the bass.

John

7. jackaroe

jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    thanx, so why does my tuner and the tuner on my effects pedal tune it (from thin to thick)

B
    G
    E
    Dd
    E?????

8. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    is it saying that when u plug into the tuner and play the strings open? if so ur strings arent in standard tuning.

9. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Your tuner doesn't tune it.............You do!!! And that tuning is not any tuning I have ever seen used. You had better get used to tuning to a standard tuning and stick with it for a while. Check it every time you play. As mentioned, the most common five string tuning is B E A D G from thickest to thinest string. Get it?? ....... And as for the clang, if you fret hard and don't strike the string simutainiously, you will get the clank from the string hitting the fret, especially on the heavier strings. Either fret with a lighter touch or make sure you strike the string at the same time you fret it. From your brief discription, that is my take on it.

10. The tuning on your bass is certainly non-standard. I agree with Bizzaro. Tune your instrument in the standard way for a 5: it sounds like the tuning as you find with your tuner is way, way too sharp.

You are not going to be able to tell what's causing the clanking sound until you've gotten the bass to a correctly tuned state. When you've done that it's likely to take the neck days (weeks, perhaps) to settle down so be patient...... If you can't tune it correctly / it won't stay in tune then you might have a neck problem.

So, tune it correctly, leave it for some days, checking the tuning at leaset every day. Or take it to your dealer to discuss the problem: make some noises about thinking about buying some new strings for it and you'll get some help!!

However you do it, when the bass' tuning is stable, we'll talk about the clank.:D

John

11. jackaroe

jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    hey thanx for all the help. I dunno what i was doin wrong but its all tuned now. The clank is gone too. I guess it was just getting used to a 5 string.