1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Systemofadowner, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Systemofadowner

Systemofadowner

Feb 24, 2002
    Mass
    This is an emergency. I'm ordering a set of pickups to put on my explorer today and i need help. Do I go Duncan? EMG? Bartalloni? I'm confused. What is the best pickup for a metal tone which is what i'm going for. What pickups will go best with my set?(Harte 7000,Avatar 4x10) It doesn't have to be one of those three i just want a great pickup that gives me a good metal tone.

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm a litte confused :confused::rolleyes:.

Your post mentions "explorer", yet your profile says "ESP B-50".
    Is this the bass you're talkin' about?...

Another option would be a DiMarzio DP126 set (model P and
    (humbucking) model J). These two are heavy on the mids (good
    for metal?). They're about $90USD at Musician's Friend. I think
    fellow TB'r PanterFan was looking to get a set for his bass :).

3. The more I see of the DiMarzio, the better I like them. It would be great to compile a group of MP3 to hear 'em all. The DM appear to be biased more toward the bottom and mids, and less toward the top. I have a feeling their Will Power Middle is a real gnarly beast, even more so than their Model P.

4. Hello, did someone say my name? :D

Yeah, mine are on the way. I played them when someone had dropped them in a MIA Hot Rod P-Bass. I actually liked the tone for a change, which was very defined mids, kickass lows, and a tiny bit of sparkle in the highs. This sparkle was important, as I use distortion and chorus on my highs, and I want my effects to be effective. Clean, the pickups had punch by the bucketload, but not a real smooth Bartolini-ish tone. These are really 'metal' pickups. If you're sure it's what you want, I say go for it.

Also, Slap tone will bust down walls.