Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jeff2287, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Jeff2287

Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    About a week or two ago, my bass teacher gave me "old brown shoe" by the beatles, and even though I've practiced for all this time it still sounds like ****e. My left hand simply won't play the part which goes F-F-F-F-A-C-D-C-A-G-F... and all the other parts with similar fingering. I've been using my 2nd finger for the F's, 4th for the C's and G's, and my 1st finger for the A's and D's. During my last lesson, playing this song proved a bit disastrous, seeing as how my teacher told me my right-handed finger work was "horrendous", and it still didn't sound any better when I started using his tips. This bass-line is really beginning to piss me off, so to anyone who has some sort of golden advice on playing this bass-line, your help will be extremely appreciated.

2. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    Here's a couple of ideas-
    First of all- always look at any bassline you're working on and try to think of the easiest way to finger it- you've got A's and D's in that line which can be played with open strings. Always try to assign your fingers to the appropriate frets- Ex) on the E string... first finger on G, second on A flat, third on A and fourth on B flat- always run your scales with this in mind- never skip your pinky finger- it's probably your most valuable tool! Always relax your hand- the more you stress the more tense your muscles get- you'll lose valuable flexibility. If you relax your fingers you can stretch much further enabling you top make 4 fret stretches easily. Like I said- making the lines easily playable is the key- but I'm sure your teacher taught you that! Good luck buddy- breathe and relax!
    Slade

3. Jeff2287

Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    Thanks for the tips. I think I'll have an easier time now. The bass line is a tad illogical though because the A's and D's I mentioned are done an octave higher than the open a's and d's which, considering it's the beatles, probably could have been done on a guitar much easier. I dunno. :)