Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by UzzA, Jul 9, 2002.

1. UzzA

UzzA

Mar 29, 2002
    hey guys, I just got this bass and immediatley noticed the action was extremely high. I lowered the bridge saddles til they couldent go any lower and it was still way too high. So then i decided to shim the neck (which i shouldent have done seeing as i am totaly inexperienced) I shimed one index card, then two, then three, then four and it was still too high! Can anyone help me!? What am i supposed to shim the neck with a fricken waffle?!

2. It's apparent from your post and your own admission that you shouldn't be attempting to do a setup on your bass. Stop now and find a professional to do it for you. Ask him to let you watch the process and then keep quiet while he works. Listen to what he says and you'll begin to understand the process better.

There are several possible problems with your bass. Since it's not visible to me and you're very inexperienced in setup, it's difficult to make a call.

Seek professional help. A setup (without something like recutting a nut) should be less than $50 most anywhere.

3. UzzA

UzzA

Mar 29, 2002
    Thank you for your advice but there really are not any luthers for miles from me. So your saying theres nothing you can help me with, any advice, anything to try??

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    try filling out your profile, so we know what bass you're working with.

5. UzzA

UzzA

Mar 29, 2002
    well it's curently my backup bass, An essex p-bass copy. Dont know if that helps. My dad (who knows a little about bass setup in general) says i should shim the neck even higher but i dont think that would help much. :rolleyes:

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Get a capo and a ruler. Use the capo (or a thick rubberband or whatever you can find. You can even tape it down with masking tape) to clamp down the string so that it is "fretted" at the first fret. Use One hand to then also fret the bass at the last fret. While holding the string at the last fret, measure the distance from the bottom of the string to the fretboard at the 10, 11 and 12th frets.

Report back to us with these measurements.

Chas

7. UzzA

UzzA

Mar 29, 2002
    10-2mm
    11-2mm
    12-a little less than 2mm
    hope this helps!

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Ok. That's encouraging. Its looks like a little more neck relief might help a bit.

I would suggest one 1/4 turn of the truss rod to the right. (Tightening) Let out the string tension, tighten the rod 1/4 turn, let the bass sit overnight and then re-tune the bass. Check action and intonation. If it is still unacceptable, perform the original steps I asked for again (The measuring! Not tightening the rod) just to confirm that you are indeed able to adjust neck relief.

Chas

9. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Another interesting thing to note. I have the Essex jazz copy and while the neck has about the right amount of relief, I have the bridge saddle bottomed out. I could stand to have the strings a bit lower and will have to file the saddles to accomplish this.
    Chasarms, you think maybe the necks are set just a tad deep in the pocket on these P and J copies. I love mine otherwise, can't wait to get into some serious mods.
    K

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It sure sounds like the pockets are routed too deep. It would be easy to fit a 1/8" hardwood plate in the pocket to raise it a bit. I have seen that done to a couple of telecasters in the past. I would see that as a last resort though.

Chas

11. :D