Help! :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by josephm, Aug 25, 2000.

1. josephm

Aug 25, 2000
    Greetings all.
    Here is my situation.
    I play a MIM Jazz (brand new, still smells new too!) 4 stringer for a church worship band. Our service is in an autditorium, almost like a movie theater, with comfy seats (yeah!)and seats, oh around 500 to 700 people. In addition to playing worship music, I also play in a rock band (with a lot of the same people as the Worship band) that plays small to medium sized gigs. In fact, sometimes we play a set of worship songs, then play a set of "regular" songs, if you know what I mean.
    Anyway, I have been using my old Dean Marklely amp. Sorry I don't remember the model number, but the end of it is that I need to get a head and cabinet. Currently, I've been using my Dean Markeley as a head/preamp for this monstrous ancient peavey cabinet that must weigh 8000 pounds.
    I was wondering if there were any suggestions as to what I should be looking for.
    One consideration is weight. My back is pretty bad now as it is.

I'm not looking to spend a megaton of money. That's for when (more likely IF) I make a living playing bass. One other thing. I don't like buying used. Maybe its an illogical neurosis on my part, but I have always regretted buying used anything when I did.

Thanks all for any suggestions!

Joseph M
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Hey Joe :)

I play in a 400 seater church mainly with a Warwick that has two J p/u's. I am using a Hartke 1415 which is lacking in top. I have tried a Trace Elliot 2x10 300w combo which I think I might get.

Look into a 2x10 combo with a 1x15 underneath. (I have a spare 1x15 cab)
  3. mr t

mr t

Aug 24, 2000
    manhattan, ks
    i don't know what the current prices are, but i got an acme low b2 a few years ago for $400 new. they only sell direct so the money you spend doesn't go towards all the distribution/retail markup and that stuff--just into great components and design. It's the best cab i've heard for any price--although it takes a bit of power on the amp side of things. also, it's less than 50 pounds with perfectly placed handles that make it really easy to transport. hope this helps. you can check them out at andy lewis is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
    p.s. i play at church, also, (and other local venues) and can say that this cab puts out plenty of volume if you've got the clean watts to drive it.
  4. josephm

Aug 25, 2000
    THanks guys for the responses. :)
    I can see that I have a lot to learn about amplification beyond combo amps!
    Lately, my eye has leaned toward ampeg, hartke, and swr stuff.
    Once again, thanks for the responses!

5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Fender makes a pretty decent combo amp for under $400. Its the BXR 100. It has 1x15" speaker in it, 7 band graphic eq, Bass and treble contore controls, high/low shelving. What I liked most about mine when I had it was the line out feature on it. I was able to run her directly into the board. Id avoid buying a Hartke. From what Ive been told their speakers have a tendency of blowing, I also own a hartke 2000 head and its got the same problem that the 1400 head has...way too much high end hiss.