Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by psychotic_judoka, Aug 30, 2000.

1. psychotic_judoka

Aug 29, 2000
    hey, i need serious help!
    k, i got my bass...umm last saturday, (and i didnt know how to play then, still dont really), and i was attempting to figure out how to play, and everytime i swietched my fretting finger (i donno if thats what its called) it did a little rattleing thing...why is it doing that and what do i do about it?
    other stupid questions
    what fingers do i use on my right hand
    what fingers do i use on my left hand

wow i must sound super stupid! oh well... i ordered a book that supose to teach ya how to play and that was 2 weeks agian and i havent gotten it yet! oh well....
    if anyone can help me..that would be good,
    oh and if u got the tabs for loser by 3 doors down can u email me (
  2. You will find unanimous sentiment here on the DB side that you must find a teacher. The odds are overwhelming that you can't become a really good player without one. Those who get teachers will pass you by. That's just how it is.

3. Amen. The truth has been spoken.BTW psycho, the rattling you hear is most probably because your fingers are not strong enough yet to push the strings down, very common problem with beginners. It takes a while to develope hand strength, be patient, it doesn't happen in a week.As for what fingers to use, there are different methods that incorporate different fingeres. A teacher could guide you
    into what works best for you.
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hi psychotic_judoka :D welcome to talkbass

something you may have not realized is that talkbass is 2 bass discussion boards in one. yes, that's right, 2 boards of bass talkin' goodness, for the price of one.

but see, here's the fun part. anything that ends in the letters "DB" is for the Double Basses, you know, those big hollow things that are big enough to hold a cooler in? as i can tell by your profile (thank you for filling it out, btw ;)), you play a Bass Guitar, which would be the "BG" side of the board. don't feel bad, though, lots of people make that mistake when they are new around here. it's just that, darnit, it's just not safe over here among all these doublebass guys for a young bass guitarist such as yourself.

don't be fooled, the guys on this side of the board are dangerous and mean, they'll tempt you with candy and advice, and then WHAM, you're trapped, and that's all she wrote. i have it on good authority that one of ed "kung fu" fuqua's bows is strung with the hair of some guy that came over here claiming to worship joey dimaio. :eek:
  6. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Sinko DiMaio. Stop, Ed your killin' me.

Seriously though, I've been following this board every day for 6 months and have recently noticed a lot more BG guys unwittingly posting on the DB side. Thanks to John Turner for his patient and gentle guidance of these lost souls.

Perhaps instead of [BG] and [DB] maybe the topics could be followed by little icons of a Precision (or better yet some bizzare bat shaped heavy metal bass) and a double bass. Maybe pictures would get the message across. Then again, Ed "kung fu" Fuqua would have to find a new source of bow hair.
  7. psychotic_judoka

Aug 29, 2000
    hey, sorry bout that...i didnt even notice the db thing behind it...OOPS!
    well thanks for the info anyway :)
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no worries,

now if you just tiptoe out silently, backwards - KEEP SMILING - none of 'em will follow us back. the mess they make, i'm tellin' ya. :D
  9. FanOfHaden

Sep 3, 2000
    Since the subject of teachers came up, perhaps I could ask how one might find a DB teacher? In fact, I'm a complete beginner, don't own a DB, and would like to explore learning to play Jazz on it. The initial investment would appear to me to be much deeper than that of the old Arai (Aria?) electric guitar from my teen years so I think I must be a little bit careful before jumping too far in.

Any ideas would be helpful.

10. You are surrounded by good schools and orchestras. Speak to the music departments in the public schools and in the colleges. Call the orchestra managements and explain what you need. Every school teacher and every orchestra player supplements their income with private teaching.