Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help =)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by stingkt14u, Oct 31, 2002.

1. stingkt14u

stingkt14u

Oct 31, 2002
    Boardman Ohio
    Hey everyone. I was thinking about purchasing a double bass sometime before/during this upcoming year. I have been playing for the past 6 years and I have been attending a school where I have been privelged with the opportunity to only have to rent an insturment. Unfortunately, I am going to be moving to a new district that doesnt have an orchestra but I continue on playing. I don't really know a whole lot about double basses so any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    All certified Talk Bass teachers take off points for not doing your homework.

3. If you're planning to buy a double bass, be sure to get one with a neck and a fingerboard, and with at least three or four strings stretched tightly down the neck and across a bridge thingie, and securely attached at the bottom part. Almost all the double bass pros here use this kind of bass and it is probably the best way to get a decent sound.

seriously, Stingky, what Jeff is saying is: hey, you've got the computer and the internet connection, and you've found your way to Talk Bass. So do a little work. In old posts there is a wealth of information here which will help you. Read it ALL, take notes, think about your needs and preferences, and then, and only then, for the things you're not sure about come back here with specific questions and and enough background so readers can understand where you're coming from.

You'll find plenty of help will be available.

4. stingkt14u

stingkt14u

Oct 31, 2002
    Boardman Ohio
    FORGIVE ME! I need a little help... geez... i have been looking and i cant find anything on here... and no i dont really read any other threads:eek:

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Huh?

6. Forget it... You guys scared another one off.

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    He spooked easy. There's something to be said for 'Old School', though, which we must be....

8. stingkt14u

stingkt14u

Oct 31, 2002
    Boardman Ohio
    I said : I dont read other threads.happy or do you need me to say it in some other languages?

9. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    That's not necessary. Actually, it seems like you might be better advised to continue to practice your English.

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Just read the thread for newbies regarding buying a bass (at the top of DB). Most of your questions will probably be answered there, and won't have to be rehashed one more time in this forum. Then ask any unanswered specific questions here. Link up to Bob Gollihur's site from the same place.

11. .....SIGH..... just like home:p Marcus could you please pass the Mashed Potatos...Thank you

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sorry...all gone (Burrrrpppp....)

13. If only the world could understand your pain...

14. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I understand completely.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

And me!!

If (s)he's going to give up that easily on reading a forum like this - then it doesn't bode well for the dedication needed to play DB! :rolleyes:

I think the guys here are probably doing a service - if you can't negotiate this "initiation", then you might as well give up now on learning DB - just saves time all round!! ;)

16. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Although it's likely, Stinky14U hasn't demonstrated that (s)he is too ****ing stupid, merely that (s)he is too ****ing lazy to be bothered. Stinky 1, you've been playing for 6 years and don't know much about basses? What have you been doing? Anyway, just go ask down at the Guitar Center for new Ibanez double bass and you'll be all set.

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I think this speaks for itself.

OSWALD1963,

"Scared another one off"? By this you mean that the big bunch of meanies who inhabit this board are so cruel and intimidating that they regularly and needlessly scare off potential new members? Perhaps you'd like to review the replies up to the point where STINKFOOT said that (s)he doesn't read other threads - they seem pretty civil to me. And if 14ftSLINKY doesn't want to bother reading any of the links that were put here to give the easiest possible access to the information that this board has to offer, whose fault is that? Is it a government conspiracy/coverup? Enquiring minds want to know.