Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DMBJammer, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Hello...i am a 14 year old bassist. I have been playing for about a year and I am currently jammin with one cover (converting to original stuff) band and one church band. I am about to begin playing with another band soon. I currently own a Samick 4 string bass(attached file; sorry so blurry). I usually jam with an Ibanez 5 string bass at my friends house when we jam. I have noticed a very large difference in the sounds. The Ibanez looks and sounds 10x better than my bass does. I am trying to decide if i need to invest in a Ibanez 4 string bass for my self. What do you think?

2. phoenixdown

phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    Scotland
    if u like it then buy i personally cant stand the look of it but ive never played 1 so i cant really give ya much advice but if its what ya want go for it

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The EDA series is IMHO one of the better lines that Ibanez makes. But there are a lot of other really nice basses in that price range.

How much money are you looking to spend, and what kind of sound are you looking for?

4. [​IMG]

This is just my opinion, but I HATE that bass. I've played it before,and absolutely hate the feel, the tone, everything about it.

Luthite bodies are not quite right for me, and it may have just been that one that I played, but the piezo sounded grainy, and sucked the life out of the tone. Also, the pickup wasn't the greatest either.

I'd advise against that bass. I'm not much of an Ibanez fan, but if you want to stick with Ibanez basses, look into a different model. I'd recommend the BTB400QM
    [​IMG]

or the BTB1000E

[​IMG]

And that would be if you were going with a 4 string Ibanez.

5. thanks for all your help. i am not trying to spend more than $600 on a bass. i am more interested in buying a four stringer because i dont play much hard rock. could you help me find the perfect bass?

****my problem now is that no one really respects me as being a bass player if i dont play a name brand bass. i really dont give a hoot what kind of bass it is as long as it sounds good...but i would like to have an ibanez, or fender, or somthing along those lines....HELP!:confused:

6. Why not try an MIM Fender P or J? People know Fender's reputable (though we bassists know that they don't have the best QC anymore) and they are great gigging basses.

If you must go with those Ibanez's though, the BTB's are the ones to be had.

7. thanks but i need a lot of opinions before i make my opinion. :eek: o yeah! dont the BTBs weigh a lot. i remember messin around with one at the store and it seemed heavy. what if i was playin with a strap and for a long time? how much are the BTBs n e wayz? oh yeah dont forget to do the poll...thanks

8. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    I own the EDA shown. I strongly suggest playing this bass before you buy it. The tone of this luthite is like sour kraut, either you love it or hate it. Same goes for the smell. There isn't really a middle ground with this bass. If you are unsure about it or can't try it, don't buy it.

9. Here are my candidates in your pricerange:

1. The Ibanez BTB400QM
    2. Carvin B4
    3. Cort Curbow 4
    4. IF and I mean IF you can find a decent Fender in that pricerange.
    5. Used MTD Heir or Kingston

The big thing is to play as many as you can to find YOUR VOICE.