Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jesus_monkey, Nov 15, 2002.

1. I just bought a pair of barts for my jazz bass. I installed them, but when i play the bass, my D string is not amplified. does anyone know what's wrong? will i have to buy new pickups? please help

2. Hmmm....

(I'm not much of a pickup tech, but I'll get this started, no fun being ignored)

Did the original pickups sound ok on all strings?

Is the D string somehow insulated from the bridge?

(Fellas, correct me if I'm wrong in the following...)

I believe there has to be good electrical continuity from the string to the bridge. Maybe there is corrosion or something preventing this on the D string saddle or anchor point only?

Did you buy the p'ups used?

:confused:

3. the orginal pickups were good on all strings
    the bridge and everything near the bridge looks fine to me.

the pickups may have been used. i bought them from a store going out of business. the store was advertised 20 to 40 percent off so i thought i was just getting a good deal. maybe they suckered me yet again.....

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Do you know what model they are? Bartolini makes some quad-coil pickups, so the coil under the d-string could be bad or somehow not connected. It would be strange in the extreme if this happened on two pickups, though. And bimp, you don't have to have electrical continuity from the strings to the bridge. The bridge on most basses has a ground wire running from it, but that's to cut down on noise.

Lizard - if you bought these new and have a reciept stating such, Bartolini should help you (assuming you can get in touch with them).

5. Well my friend here advised that they are a five string set. The model number is #59J. Are there pole pieces that are underneath the cover? If so, then maybe the strings don't line up.

Does anyone want to trade a Bart 5 string jazz set for a 4 string set?:) please?