1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ftsmart, May 11, 2010.

1. ftsmart

ftsmart

May 11, 2010
    hi guys depite being an avid reader of these forums this is the first time iv posted! so bear with me........

i recently got a burns marquee bass. not everyones cup of tea i know but i fell in love with it as soon as i played a friends. so i proceeded onto ebay to buy myself one as i couldn find a retailer for them.

as soon as i got plugged it in i realised that the volume on the g string dies on anything other than the bridge pick up. iv just had a report back from the luthier iv put it into that said the string spacing and where the pole pieces are in the middle and neck pickups dont collerate, it will never pick that string up. he has told me that it is a manufacturing problem and should go back to the original retailer and/or manufacturer.

obviously being an ebay purchase means i dont have a receipt, manufacturers gaurantee or anything official so.............

does anyone have any advice re getting the guitar sorted (which is obviously gonna cost a wee bit) or how to approach the manufacturer in light of no paperwork. i love this guitar and i want it to be my main bass but cant til this is either rectified or i cut my losses and buy smehting that actually works

cheers guys and girls

2. Do you have any pictures?

You could always try new pickups (blade style) or I dare say there is a chance you can do something with the bridge or nut, unless the neck is pretty squint?

3. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    OK, live and learn....I bought an Ampeg svt400T used bass head from Ebay that was worn,scratched and to me sounded like trouble. What I did was invest in the local service shop at SamAsh($50.00 bench charge,etc. ) turned out it was all ok . . Now, this turned out to be a good Ebay purchase. ...Now in your case, I'd invest the bench charge at a certified service center and get it checked out. At least you'll know what you really have........good luck :cool:

4. Please post a more descriptive title, this will get the attention of subject matter experts better than a vague one word title.

Please also post pictures, this will help in the diagnosis of the problem.

Now onto the show: as Mohawk said, new pickups might be a good option. Not having seen the bass I can't tell you, but maybe also your pickups are too low. You could try to raise them on the G side and get them closer to the string.

Does this problem occur on open notes? Reason I ask is that you may have some fret work to be done.

5. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    +10000000000000

I mean seriously, you thought "HELP!" was an appropriate thread title? How about "How do I fix my G string's low output?" ???