Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lucy, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Lucy

Lucy

Jan 8, 2003
    UK
    Please help, I want to play bass with 5 strings (not sure if this is a good idea or not but I like a challenge!) but do not know if I should start with 4 or 5 strings. I am hoping to buy a bass very soon and would like some advice.:confused:

Thanks

Lucy

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hi Lucy!!

First: Welcome to Talk Bass!!

Second: Make sure to read the newbie FAQ section..
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/misc.php?s=&action=faq
    this will immediately get you in good with the moderators here (LOL).

Third: Become acquainted with the "Search" function. This will do more than the second item above to put you in the moderator's good graces.

Fourth: IMO it'd would be ok to start off with a 5... I'd suggest going to a local music store and trying both 4's and 5's out and find what you're most comfortable with.

Best to you!!!!

3. Hi, welcome to TB.

I would think a 5 string would make bass playing easier than a 4 string. It would allow you to access notes below E without having to drop tune. The only downside would be the wider neck.

From a beginner standpoint, I would say the only reason why you would need a 5 string is to play modern nu-metal. Otherwise, I would recommend a good 4 string.

Also check out the NEWBIE LINKS at the top of the forum too...

4. Lucy

Lucy

Jan 8, 2003
    UK
    Thanks for your help guys, now I have a little more to go on.

Lucy