1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lucy, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Lucy

Lucy

Jan 8, 2003
    UK
    Please help, I want to play bass with 5 strings (not sure if this is a good idea or not but I like a challenge!) but do not know if I should start with 4 or 5 strings. I am hoping to buy a bass very soon and would like some advice.:confused:

Thanks

Lucy

2. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hi Lucy!!

First: Welcome to Talk Bass!!

Second: Make sure to read the newbie FAQ section..
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/misc.php?s=&action=faq
    this will immediately get you in good with the moderators here (LOL).

Third: Become acquainted with the "Search" function. This will do more than the second item above to put you in the moderator's good graces.

Fourth: IMO it'd would be ok to start off with a 5... I'd suggest going to a local music store and trying both 4's and 5's out and find what you're most comfortable with.

Best to you!!!!

3. Hi, welcome to TB.

I would think a 5 string would make bass playing easier than a 4 string. It would allow you to access notes below E without having to drop tune. The only downside would be the wider neck.

From a beginner standpoint, I would say the only reason why you would need a 5 string is to play modern nu-metal. Otherwise, I would recommend a good 4 string.

Also check out the NEWBIE LINKS at the top of the forum too...

4. Lucy

Lucy

Jan 8, 2003
    UK
    Thanks for your help guys, now I have a little more to go on.

Lucy