1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ctalley316, May 15, 2011.

1. ctalley316

ctalley316

May 11, 2011
    I just set everything up for our concert tonight...
    I hate the sound!! Amazing how Amp/Cab sound different at GC and then at your venue.
    I need help!!
    I need something lightweight...
    "Wimpette"
    I need it to sound great without needing to be loud.
    I play in small to large size churches. Some outside concerts.
    I can take my Ampeg Portaflex Series PF-350 Amp head and my SVT210AV Bass Cab back to GC. Going to have to get something that will work for me. It really did sound great in the store... Horrible in the church we are at. It is probably a medium size church but it took me forever to dial it in to where I could "stand" the sound. Not saying it sounded good.
    Again, any help is appreciated!!
    :oops:

2. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I would think that would be a great sounding amp. Only you can determine what sounds good to you. I think you need to try alot of amps out and see what you like. Nothing will sound the same live as it does in the store so i would recomend renting a few amps until you find one that works for you.

3. I can't imagine playing large venues with a 210.

4. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Did you have PA support, or was this rig expected to fill the church all on its own? If you need it just for stage sound, this amp should be fine, but a little short to fill the space alone. You would need maybe another 210 cab, or just return the cab for an SVT410HLF. JMHO.

5. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    i think thats the issue. 2x10 is full and rich and thick sounding in my house, at a gig with a drummer its not loud enough. johnny a.

6. ctalley316

ctalley316

May 11, 2011
    My little SWR I had before did a great job without using a microphone.
    I am very disappointed.
    Do you have "LIGHTWEIGHT" recommendations?
    I am female and would prefer to carry and set up my own equipment.
    We are getting ready for our meeting today so...
    will see how it sounds today.
    Any information for recommendations would be appreciated.
    Thanks

7. FunkDragon

FunkDragon

Jan 3, 2011
    I would try the G.K. MB Fusion with a G.K. Neo 2x12 cab. HUGE sound, brilliant tone & rediculously light.
    The MarkBass Little Mark III heads sound pretty good too.
    Another light weight option is Genz Benz.
    They have a couple of high powered compact heads & a ripper 2x12 Neo cab.

I would try & borrow or hire some different combinations to use at rehearsal before you committ to buying anything because most of the amps will sound great on their own in the shop. The real test is with the band.
    I would personally stay away from just a 2x10 cab on it's own for a gig. You will most likely do some damage to it on it's own as you'll have to drive it too hard.
    If you really want to use just one cab, I would stick with a 2x12 or a 4x10.

8. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I agree that a 2x12 setup would be best. Either a one cab or 2 cab setup would work fine. As far as brand, it all depends on your budget. Remember, the lightweight options are more expensive that their heavier counterparts. Markbass, Genz benz & others make great head cab solutions, but they will run into the $1200 to $1500 range.

9. +1 on a second cab.

10. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    You need more speakers.

And gotta be lightweight? Get wheels for your new 4x10.

11. I would never try to gig with just one of my 2x10s. Always use a pair in a vertical stack. Takes up the same stage area as a single cab, gets the sound up closer to your ears, has better horizontal dispersion and, if you put your amp atop the pile, eye level control panel.

12. Fred Mott

Fred Mott

Nov 20, 2010
    I don't know how much you have to spend. I just recently purchase a MarkBass Jeff Berlin 15 combo. At larger gigs I add a 212 cab. I have used it by itself in a church that seats maybe 300, line out to the P.A. Playing with a lead electric guitarist, a couple acoustics, piano and a drummer. We also have 6 singers and it holds it's own very well, and sounds very good with my P-bass

13. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    So what was the final outcome?

14. ctalley316

ctalley316

May 11, 2011
    Well...
    I really don't have a final answer yet. I ordered the GK MB115. It had "great" sound in the store. I guess I won't really know until I use it in a church this weekend.
    I didn't really want to spend more than about $700 but the sound was much more important than the price. I have read so much "pro" and "con" about GK. I wasn't originally interested in them, I wanted to stay with Ampeg.
    Since this one is under 40 lbs I feel I can handle it by myself.
    So at this point, the verdict is still out! But I am hoping it will do the job!

15. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    some rooms just gobble up bass tone, some rooms don't. it's a big frustration for me but the bottom line is you have to dial in each situation - but it helps if you have a neutral sounding amp and cab to start with. Good luck!

16. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Part of the problem is that in the church you are in a much larger environment than you were at the store. You might not be properly hearing what is coming out of your speaker cabinet.

What sounds bad to you near field, might sound fine far field to the congregation.

Try an experiment, raise your speaker cabinet, whatever model you decide to use, off the ground about 30" to 40", so the cab is closer to ear level. See how your sound changes with you able to hear it better. If it helps, play with the cab elevated. The distance that you stand from the cab will also play a role.

17. Cost is usually a big factor with the great new lightweight/high power rigs. PJB amps put out a great sound, but at a high dollar. Maybe a fifteen with your 210 might be an economical way to solve your problem? That would put the 210 close to your hearing level and the 15 rolling across the stage into the congregation.

18. I'm curious. What was it specifically you didn't like?
    Distorted?
    Thin sounding?
    Not loud enough?

I suspect it may be all of the above. When playing larger venues, there's no substitute for (a) ample power (b) enough speaker area, (c) good frequency response and/or tone shaping.

Ampeg is not the amp for everybody, even though the Ampeg fan base won't play without one. I like G-K immensely (for over twenty years). Hopefully that combo will do it for you.

The key is to pinpoint the negative values whenever a rig doesn't work for you. There is always a solution! Good Luck! :bassist:

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    +1

No one's asked what was so awful about the sound you have (really be descriptive about what you're hearing that you DON'T like), and you've not told anyone what you'd like to hear. You haven't really given anyone an idea of the 'sonic' setting you're playing within (what kind of music, band, etc.).

20. ctalley316

ctalley316

May 11, 2011
    I didn't raise the Amp...
    Will do that this weekend with my GK MB115.
    I did have my husband play my bass and I went out to the floor and listened in all the different area's. It really sounded thin. I like a rich bass sound. Not too overpowering but... there is nothing like a good solid bass sound.
    I have always liked Ampeg. Was sad to switch. A friend of mine in NC recommended the GK and I thought... "NO WAY". Well it did sound good so we will see this Sunday.
    We play original contemporary Christian music. (sounds like 60's music)
    Can't wait for Sunday to get here.