Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Woodchuck, May 18, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I know we go through periods of listening to one artist for a while, and then moving on, but my Gilberto Gil stage has lasted for about a month and a half now! Now I've decided to learn one of his CD's, so I think I'm gonna be listening to him for about another 2 or 3 weeks! :eek: Am I insane?
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

When I lived in Brazil in the mid-1960s. Gilberto Gil was just becoming popular. His big first hit (that I knew of) was "Aquele Abraco" which I still like to this day. It is easy for me to see why you would listen to his music week after week.

You might also want to check out a similar Brazilain artist (in fact they were friends) in Caetano Veloso. Both Gil and Veloso were considered kind of rebellious and daring in the lyrics of their songs. They weren't "mainstream" like Joan Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim. I liked all of them and still do.
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The album in question is the soundtrack for "Me, You,Them", although, I love alot of his stuff. What drew me to him about 15 years ago was the rebellious label.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Learn it, then move on...why not?

thats what I do, whenever I get into an obsessive listening binge, I Just learn it, then move on ;)
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No, you are not insane, you merely recognize great music when you hear it.;)

On the topic of Brazilian music, you might also check out Milton Nascimento. I'm a complete Nascimento freak. One of the most amazing voices in pop music.
  6. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    I picked up Donny Hathaway "Live" after reading about it here a few weeks ago and I now listen to it daily. Fantastic album.
  7. leftundone

Mar 14, 2003
    Chicago, IL