Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZenBass, May 20, 2003.

1. Hiya fellow Talkbass people.

I need some help, my band is finally starting to go some people and we have landed some pretty high class gigs around the UK mainland which is great but my rig now leaves a lot to be desired. My current Setup is

Trace Elliot GP7S10 Bass Head and
    Trace Elliot 1x15 Bass Cab with Tweeter

was using a Marshall 4x10 ontop of the 1x15 but this was on loan from a friend and had to give it back (but to be honest wasnt bowled over with the sound)..

I need to expand my my bass rig to comfortable cope with large gig venue but being a uni student i do not really have the capital to get exactly what I want. I have looked on and although there are some really good examples about of Trace Elliot gear (which is where i really want to stay) I cannot afford to cost.

I would like any suggest for inexpensive but high quality 4x10 cabs

If I used a power amp running into my Trace Elliot head acting as the Pre-Amp and EQ into my speaker cabs would this be a suffcient way of boosting power.. ?..

Thank you, I know it rushed but i am getting worried as my first big gig is only just over three-four weeks away..

Best Regards

Ben Howard :confused:
  2. I forgot to mention I only have around £400 to spend, which isnt much

my ideal setup would be

Trace Elliot AH300 Head
    Trace Elliot 1048
    Trace Elliot 1518

But as you can imagine even second hand this is very costly... :rolleyes:
  3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Okay - lemme see if I can help out here. I have some Trace stuff, so I've got some experience, at least with the heads.

Assuming your quote:
    refers to your intention of using your AH300 strictly as the pre-amp and running it through a separate power amp (your quote has it reversed, thus my confusion), yes, you can do this without a problem. In fact, I use my AH200 as my preamp and run it through my Carvin FET1000 power amp. Works great and I get the tone I want. Just run the line out from your AH300 to the power amp's input and you're golden.

You know what I would recommend? Instead of getting the two cabs you mentioned, get one SWR Henry 8x8, but buy it used. I know you are in the UK, but SWR is pretty widely distributed, so it shouldn't be a problem.

The 8x8 is a 4ohm cab and it will give you the power you want. Plus, it's only one cab and it will likely cost you less! Believe me, it'll give you everything you need. I speak from experience here as well as one of cabs is an 8x8.

Something to keep in mind: Trace typically did not make brideable amps, so you'll want to get a power amp that will allow you to bridge for the purpose of pumping the most ACCEPTABLE power into that cab. Just make sure you match the power rating of the amp in bridge mode to the max rating of the cab so as not to blow it, obviously. The upside to this is that you can actually get a lower-wattage (and less expensive!) power amp and bridge it through the 8x8 and get all of the power you need.

This is just one of many recommendations which could be offered as an alternative. Others here will have good suggestions as well.

If you are going to stick with Trace, go the pre-Gibson route. I have found a WORLD(!!) of differnce between pre- and post- Gibson buyout Trace stuff. Again, I have experience with both and own both.