Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Flea24, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Flea24

Apr 7, 2000
    I know major, minor, blues scales, i know some arpeggios, and some other theory stuff, but i dont know it doesnt seem like it is helping with my playing ability/skill, or at least maybe its just im not where i would like to be. please help with other ideas that will help me become better, as in making up my own lines and riffs.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Listen! listen to everything! Pop, Jazz, Rock, Opera, Sounds Around You, everything. Learn to hear and visualize the textures.

Pay attention to how things act/react to each other.... connect the dots in your head, the scales will help you put the thoughts to the bass.

IMHO there is a fine line between creative, athletic and mathmatic when it comes to bass and music in general.... it takes time and experience to get the balance (or at least some balance... it's a life time of growth).

short term: find some other musicians to jam with. Don't do covers, try free jamming to chord progressions. Let the guitarist wank off all he wants, play with the textures, use your scales, have fun, be confident.
  4. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    If you did know them they would help.You can't look at it as "some" and "stuff".You definitely need a teacher/mentor.From what you just posted IME you need someone in front of you to physically "show you the way".Little bits of advice(some good,some bad)over the web are going to send you around in circles even more.