1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by allroundbassnut, Jul 8, 2012.

1. allroundbassnut

allroundbassnut

Jul 8, 2012
    hello, i have just finished school and started work, so i have cash for once!!! i have been a dedicated payer for about 2 years, but am just obsessed with getting a double bass! is this an adolescent infatuation all bassists go through, and im better off getting a reallly decent guitar for the cash, or are they really as much as a gift from god as my dreams tell me??

2. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    Don't worry, you don't need to take medication. Double Bass Obsessive Disorder is perfectly normal and we all have it around here; you are in the right place.

But ... how much cash do you have? You might need to save a little more if you don't want to buy something you'll regret after a year or so. And where are you? If you want help with your problem, you'll need to find a support group near you ;)

3. allroundbassnut

allroundbassnut

Jul 8, 2012
    im in essex in the UK and come september, providing i stash some cash and do okay for my birthday will have give or take 500 squid :)

4. Matthew Tucker

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    That's a good start but you'll probably need to save a bit more to get a double bass you'll be happy with once you learn to play it. It takes a while and some experience to understand what makes a decent bass, and you really can't just go on looks or price. Often, second hand is better. Maybe have a look at rent to buy deals to pay it off over time ... and in the mean time find someone good to teach you to play and advise you about buying.

5. allroundbassnut

allroundbassnut

Jul 8, 2012
    but after all that cash is spent, will it pay off??

6. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    OP, I don't know about UK prices but you're a ways off where I'm from. AUBs are pricey. You also have to factor in lessons. Technique is based on the same principals but doesn't transfer directly from BG to AUB.

In the meantime, welcome to TB. Don't forget to read the stickies (ALL of them). One of them mentions why we don't like it when people start two threads titled "Help!" but don't worry-it's not a big deal. Good luck with your possible future AUB! They are great creatures....

7. colcifer

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Oh, and what gear do you have already? Musical interests? That sort of info goes a long way in helping us advise you well.

8. allroundbassnut

allroundbassnut

Jul 8, 2012
    i am currently playing a lot of muse and coldplay swing covers, but love rock n' roll, jazz and country, i also have a shaftsbury bass, that cost me 200 pounds, and a 200 pound amp as well :)

9. colcifer

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    How do you like your bass, other than it not being an AUB? What other basses have you played?

10. Rob Thompson

Rob Thompson Supporting Member

11. Matthew Tucker

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Well that totally depends on you ;)

12. allroundbassnut

allroundbassnut

Jul 8, 2012
    thank you for the help everybody, but i am still so undicided, i shall save up and not invest in anything until i have a) borrowed a double. and b) got the money to invest in possibilities which are not a waste of time :) thanks again!!

13. allroundbassnut

allroundbassnut

Jul 8, 2012
    will a classical bass such as stentor do the job for jazz or rockabilly??

14. allroundbassnut

allroundbassnut

Jul 8, 2012
    also, there are very cheap double basses on google shopping,could it be worth buying one to see if i like it? or is that just a complete wast of 300 pounds?

15. playbass0410

playbass0410

Feb 8, 2008
    well, not the wildest dream comes even near the real thing. If you can take a lifetime obsession starting so early... ;)
    To rent a bass is a very good first step given it has a good setup. Look that it has a comfortable string height to not get a "first-touch-frustration". Get some lessions with a good teacher. You may going to purchase a DB later on when you know better what's to your taste.

16. mlz77096

mlz77096

Oct 16, 2007
    Houston, TX
    My take is get your hands on a bass that feels good to them. I wasn't planning to play bass until I started messing with the one I currently have. It just felt so good to my hands and the notes seemed to fall in place. Try some out. How do you feel playing it? That should answer your question as to how long the passion will last. Good luck.