1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chanjay1, Jul 22, 2012.

1. chanjay1

chanjay1

Jul 22, 2012
    I have recently started playing bass and I love everything about it. I just bought strings and began to change them and put the E string on too tight and it snapped. And when it snapped, I'm not sure what happened but it won't play when I plug it into my amp. Did it affect the pickups or am I just missing something here? Please help me.

2. I cant think of any damage that a snapped string could have caused. Make sure your strings are currently tuned properly. If they are too loose they will just flop around and the pick up may not be... "picking them up". Also if you own an active bass check to make sure that your battery is not dead. If that doesn't work start troubleshooting other variables like your instrument cable, speaker cable, amp EQ and volume, bass EQ and volume.

3. Dont feel bad, when I first started playing bass, I wanted to play a song in dropped D tuning, so I tuned my E string UP to a D. Needless to say that string snapped pretty good before i got there...

4. chanjay1

chanjay1

Jul 22, 2012
    I have my other strings tuned and everything I just couldn't get the E string right. How do I check my battery?

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Make sure that your plugs both into the bass and into the amp are fully engaged. I've got one bass where the jack has this odd thing of feeling like you've pushed plug all the way in but it really still has a ways to go. Needless to say the bass doesn't play until you push it all the way in.

And double check you amp settings. This one just got me. I was swapping basses around and suddenly the amp just quit! I started to panic. I was turning the "volume" up and down trying active and passive and playing with everything. Trying different basses, you name it.

Well Duh. The amp has TWO volumes the usual one plus a second one labeled "master". And I have NO idea how but SOMEHOW that master volume got turned to ZERO. Phew! Now there was a healthy repair bill averted!

You can test pickups without even strings by tapping on them with a paper clip. They should make a nice loud thump.

Just double check everything. Even those of us with "experience" can get caught by these things.

6. Assuming you have an "active" bass, there will be a battery compartment on the back side of you bass. There will be a 9V battery inside. Take it out and either replace it with a new battery or check it with your tongue by placing the terminals on the tip of your tongue. If you feel a "buzz" the battery is usually good. This as all assuming you have an ACTIVE bass.