1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Roko369, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Roko369

Roko369

Aug 5, 2012
    Hi everyone, i`m having a problem with sound off my bass.
    The problem is that i just cant get out a sound that i like from my bass.
    So i`m thinking that maybe i should try to change pickups/pickup ?
    So maybe you can suggest me something ?
    I can give you some hints and tell you that i`m playing post rock/ post hardcore and here are some examples of what kind of sound i would love to get out from my bass.

I`m sorry that this is really stupid question, but i hope that you will help .:help:

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that's a good bass, and should be able to do anything you need it to do. you could get better pickups for it, but the stock ones are decent alnico-magnet repros and are fine.

what's the rest of the rig?

3. What amp?

4. Roko369

Roko369

Aug 5, 2012
    I`m using Hartke HA5500 and Hartke 810XL cab

5. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that's a nice powerful rig!

the dude in the second clip is playing a jazz too, so there's no reason yours can't do the trick.

in that clip, the bass has that scooped, grindy tone we associate with the SVT vibe. you can get much of that sound out of your rig with a sansamp BDDI, either out front as an effect, or straight into the effects return of the amp, bypassing the preamp circuitry of the hartke and basically becoming the preamp itself.

6. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    OK, there's your problem. First off - the guy in the 1st vid is using an Ampeg all tube head and a cab with paper cones. You have solid state amp and metal speaker cones. Not gonna happen.

2nd vid - make a smiley face on your Hartke's EQ, use your neck pick up and Viola!

Maybe try out a 15" speaker cab. They give the oomph we all love.

Seems like you like a little grind too (3rd vid). Does your head have the gain knob? If so, turn it UP! Careful with all that treble you're rig will make (see sig).

Tone is something you will be searching for all your life so don't feel bad.

Good luck!

7. Roko369

Roko369

Aug 5, 2012
    thanks for your help ;)

8. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    good advice except for the 15" cab part; an 8x10 should have all the "oomph" he needs, likely more than any regular 15. (remember, a typical 4x10 is almost twice as much speaker as a typical 15, and he's got two 4x10's worth going on.)