Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by b0nes83, Dec 17, 2000.

1. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    I have a Cirrus 4 string... here is my problem...ok i tune my G string and after that i play an E on the 9th fret of the G string and it is very flat. this happens on all my strings...only the first 5 frets are in tune and the rest are not. How would I go about fixing this problem because it makes me mad when i have to bend the string to get it to the right pitch when i hit the higher notes on the fretboard. any suggestions?

2. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
  3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Has it only started doing this recently or has this always happen? It might be something as simple as the trussrod to uneven fret wear to something more serious. Need more info as to how long its done this or how long you've had the bass to give an accurate adjustment. For starters take your bass and look down the body towards the neck closeing one eye and try to tell if the neck is straight. Does the neck look straight? If so it might be the trussrod. Send more info and I'll try to help further.

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Bones, It sounds like the intonation needs to be adjusted. If you have an electronic tuner it's not very hard to do. I suggest a search under intonation. There are lots of posts in the archives that cover the subject.

If you don't care to do it yourself, it's relatively inexpensive to have it done by any decent guitar shop.

I don't mean we wont help you. If you decide to do it yourself after boning up on it a bit, You can be assured someone here will help.:)

Pkr2

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    belair57

Bel, that was sort of uncalled for. If you meant it as a joke, you should follow your text with a smilie.

Pkr2

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Sorry Fix, we were posting at the same time. Didn't mean to sound like "I'm right and you're wrong". :)

7. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
  8. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    well i got the bass in march lastyear. this problem has been going on for about a month now. the neck is not exactly straight. I think im going to take the bass to the place i got it at and have them fix the problem. i have a 1 year warrenty on it, so they should do it for free. but i am going to call them first to hear what they have to say.

9. It's probably innotation and truss-rod. The innotation accounts for most of the difference, while the truss rod explains why the first five frets are ok.

So basiclly, pkr and FiXed are right :)