Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hybridsteve, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Hey everyone,

I just got a phone call from this guy asking me to play bass for him.His band is supporting a band down in Cork which is cool,its in the afternoon so I should be able to make my gig in the evening.He then wants me to play bass on tuesday supporting Girls Aloud in the Odyssey Arena in Belfast infront of a crowd of 10,000!(****ing hell)I'm having a meeting with him and the others tonight before I play a gig to talk about songs etc.

Any tips from you pro's on how to keep calm and keeping a clear head infront of such a big crowd.

I was thinking of wearing a kilt and standing over a bucket haha!

Seriously though any tips would be great.

Yours Steven

2. well the first time i played in front of anymore than 10 people was at school. and it was like 600 people. just have fun. once you get out there you will be fine.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The most people I've ever played in front of was about 4000. I can't offer you much advice, other than just do your thing. Don't worry about the fact that there are a lot of people, just relax and play.

4. I think the most I've played to would be around 800-1000 people.I'm usually fine once I get going its just that period of time when your waiting to get going and you just wanna get out and play.

Anyone have any pre show tips?

Thanx for the comments Cobrasneverdie and Wrong Robot!

My hero is Man holding EA i AMP 800!!!What a beard!

Is it Lee Sklar?Looks like him

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Why? because he sits there holding that amp in front of hundreds of people every day:p

6. Yep he daren't put it down incase someone nicks it!He's a bit paranoid!No time for shaving!

He kicks ass!

7. yes it is Lee Sklar, He is the man.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'd always take a gig in front of 10,00 people over a gig in front of 1. Smaller crowds are more nerve racking IMO.

I've noticed that once the crowd hits 1,000 it's all relative. What I mean is that there may as well be 1 million people, or 10,000, it's all the same. You don't notice much difference. The rest is in your head.

9. Stare at your fingering hand !!

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Very good point, playing for an audience where you can see each individual reaction, that can be a harrowing experience, but when it's just a sea of faces, some digging it some not digging it, it doesn't really matter.

hehe, just try and find the old lady in the crowd with her fingers in her ears and focus on her. :p

11. I dunno about that she might get the wrong impression!hahaha depends how desperate I am on the night mwaaaahahaha

!!!!

Thanx Everyone!