Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Helping creating custom Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jun 28, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'm thinking about having a custom jazz built, and I can't decide on the look I want for it. The only things I know for sure so far is:

1) Alder Body

2) Figured Maple Top

3) Figured Maple Neck

4) Rosewood (or something similar) fretboard

I'm trying to come up with something unique that you don't see every day. I'm thinking of having no pickguard, but also I'm toying with the idea of having a wood pickguard. Also I'd love to have wood knobs.

Let's see what you all come up with :)

2. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Flame or Quilt maple top?

Ebony Board?

Matching pup covers!

3. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Flame most likely. I was thinking of matching covers seeing as I want nordstrands and carey can make me those. But to match what wood? I also don't know if wood pup covers, pickguard and knobs would be pushing it (they wouldn't all be the same wood, maybe the PG matches the neck wood, the pup covers and knobs match the board? :)

I love Ebony, but I'm going for a more vintage tone and I don't know if ebony would be too bright?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No offense, but if you want something that you don't see every day, why do you want a Jazz bass? ;)

5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well, I do and I don't. I want something that has a vintage vibe to it, but is more unique and modern than what you might see every day. You know? :)

6. you don't get more vintage than a precision IMO.

Anyway...

I think that if you're doing a body with a different top wood, you should do something similar to what I want, but cannot afford... Koa body, dark walnut top, koa p'up covers and matching knobs... So, for you it would be... alder body, flamed maple top & neck, alder p'up covers and knobs, and I think you should get a maple neck, that just screams vintage!

IMO, that would look better than matching it to the neck or fingerboard.

~Ryan.

7. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    How about a rosewood neck and headstock with maple fingerboard or just all rosewood. I've never seen that.

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    You are venting potent gas at an alarming rate as of late!!(mmm, that was poetic, I am going to quite while I am ahead)Get a hold on yourself man!!

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Not only are you venting it, but you seem to be fanning and even curling it in my direction!!

10. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    When you say "vintage vibe" do you mean '60s or '70s vibe?

11. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I believe more of the 60's vibe.

12. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'm probably going to have Jack Read make the bass, and I just remembered he does P basses too (P/J) so that opens up a whole other dilemma :)

13. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If you want more of the '60s vibe then rosewood FB for sure. Many think Lindy Fralin has the '60s vintage pickup tone nailed and and since his pups are what's in my Lakland JO I'd be inclined to agree. They sound great.

14. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Actually I'm torn between a J & a P, so I think I'm going to go with a P/J.

I'm probably going to have Jack Read build it because he's local and I can get the exact neck profile I want, plus IMO he builds the best playing basses I've ever used. I decided that I'm not going to go nuts with trying to "pimp" this thing out and being as unique as possible, that I should just go with what my gut tells me I like and not be too concerned if it looks like the next guy's and just have little things that make it unique.

-P style alder body with a figured maple top

-Figured maple neck with brazilian rosewood (or something in the rosewood family that has a nice red streaking to it) fretboard with a blank face (no dots, except for a bass clef inlay at the 12th, if he can do it). I'm not sure how many frets I want. He will do a 24 fret neck but I don't know if that means it would be set more into the body making upper access even harder. I'm going to have him make the neck pocket alittle shallower than normal as it is (if he can) so I have better access sitting down. No neck plate on the back with recessed bolts. Truss rod access at the headstock, with no cover.

- Small or "vintage" frets with a zero fret.

- Red tort pickguard

- Chrome hardware with some sort of quick release bridge and hip-shot ul's.

- Rear access control cavity, either matte black plastic or alder to match the body.

- Nordstrand pickups. I'm leaning toward going passive with a stacked vol/tone vol/tone setup. If I went active, I don't know what pre-amp I'd like at the moment, but if he could do it I'd like push-pull vol/bal/stacked bass-treble/stacked mid-tone. If I went passive, I'd have a top loading jack.

15. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

How about a clear pickguard?

Rob