1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Helping EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SplinteredSkull, Jun 10, 2014.

1. So I like the tone of my GK 700rb, and the EQ points on it are very musical. However, to get the sound in my head I need to boost the low mid frequency that is in-between the Bass and Low-Mid EQ points on the GK. My friend and I were talking about the MXR Bass Preamp today and how it had a sweepable mid knob. Would it be good for accentuating that mid frequency without coloring my tone too much? I also understand it would just help beef up the signal in general, and it would give me the options of DI and broadened tone shaping.

OR is some type of graphic EQ more along the lines of what I'm looking for?

2. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Sweepable mid will almost certainly get you what you're looking for. I know I'd be lost without mine.

3. For what the OP wants, a sweepable mid would let him hone exactly on that frequency he wants to boost. I don't think the MXR is for me because I like to boost 2-3k as my hi mids. Boosting 1k sounds horrid to me, and I actually prefer 500hz as my mid at times. Too bad it doesn't have different frequencies. My Russian AMT bass eq works for now, but a 4 band paramid eq would rock.

gregmon79 likes this.
  4. So I kind of want to resurrect this thread here and see if you guys can help me understand how to get the sound I want. I want a punchy sound with a strong low end attack that hits you in the chest (with some growl) and just a little bit of rumble on the low end, while having a singing high end without harshness. On my GK I have the Treble set at about 11 o'clock, High Mid barely past 12 o'clock, Low Mid at about 2 o'clock, and Bass at 12:30. The contour is all the way off and the presence is slight turned up. Boost is at about 1:30. This seems to mostly achieve this sound, except when you start getting to the low end. The sound is kind of punchy and the low mid boost helps cut through, but it doesn't have the "oomph" behind it. Think Tim Commerford/Rage Against the Machine, especially their self-titled album. I feel like I need to boost somewhere around the 180hz range to get that chest hitting punch and 70hz to get the rumble without just extra mud. You guys probably know more about what to boost to get that sound than me though.

Now from what I listened to in the MXR demo, their bass preamp definitely adds a lot to the bass and almost does what I'm describing, but the mid knob only goes down to 250, so I'm not sure if its actually below 250 that I want. Would I be better off getting a graphic EQ?

5. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    That's the main reason I moved from GK amps. The low end - low mids thing. GK's low end isn't round and punchy, it's deep and seems the shelving goes on and on. Try an eq pedal, I too like the 120ish Hz that I'm boosting on my Ashdown amp right now. That's those warm low mids that punch you in the gut. GK does not do that tone.

6. Punch to me has always been a 6db boost at 250Hz. Old PvP amps had a button for that and I use an older Boss GE7B that has a band at 250 Hz works great with my MB500.

7. What are some other amp brands/amps you recommend checking out? I really enjoy the character of the GK and the aggressive clean sound. I also liked the Hartke LH1000 I played through, but it didn't have nearly as much tone shaping options

8. GK can get the punchy tone with an equalizer, my MB500 is super punchy with a 6db boost at 250Hz.

9. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude Supporting Member

May 2, 2014
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Whatever gets the job done is ok, but if you find yourself doing a 6db boost, you are compensating for (or working against more accurately) the natural tone of your rig.

10. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Hard to say man, depends on what you like. I wanted a fuller rounder warmer tone, a bit more tube like if you will, and Ashdown delivered, especially after I learned how to use the eq - definitely something to experiment on ashdown abm line, flat is not the greatest result. I also really dig the tone of the Tone Hammer 500 amp, maybe check that out too. Then there's the ever present ampeg, pf800 looks interesting to me. Plenty of options.

11. JustSomeDude

May 2, 2014
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Depends on the "honk" you are after.
    I'm a B15 and SVT lover.
    I've played great ampeg V4B amps.

I just played through a new Bassman Pro at a festival a couple days ago.
    It sounded excellent.

12. JustSomeDude

May 2, 2014
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Another thing....

Always try Cutting a frequency before boosting.

My B15 has a nice 'Grind'.
    By cutting just the right mid frequencies (after recording) it lets the Low end come through (as opposed to boosting Lows)

13. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    SA PEQ and done ;)

14. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    In this case, DEF try the SA PEQ. I cant recommend it enough to you. I run the 1001, well used to, and it worked wonderfully with the SA PEQ. It cave me 4 presets and all those frequencies the 1001 was missing plus a few more.

15. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    Which mid frequencies are you cutting? And are you using a Jazz bass to record with?

16. Not exactly.

The thing is that this eq pedal delivers a widder bell than other eq´s. So it means that when you add 6dB´s in 250 Hz really you are sweepping some frecuencies near of 250 hz. Usually, the punch it´s over 120 Hz, sometimes a little bit more like 150 Hz. But if you try add 6 dB´s in 120 Hz you will get a big ball of lows for incresing close to 90 Hz and 150 Hz), ´cause you will be sweepping some lowers frequencies. So you choose increases the 250 Hz instead the 120 Hz.:thumbsup:

I ever found that GK has some working frequencies very musical. It´s really plug and play, and it´s easy to get great bass sounds. But I missed some eq between 2-3Kz in some head amps. And take care with the Countour button. It produces a big mid scoop, and if turn it all the way on you can be burried in the mix easily.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  17. Would you recommend it over the Whirlwind too? The SA PEQ definitely seems like the more cost effective option, plus the savable presets. The Whirlwind just seems more tailored for bass and gives a little bit more control of the low end

18. maisbass

maisbass Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 5, 2010
    NYC
    I think one really important thing is missing from this conversation, unless I overlooked it; what kind of Cabinets are you using? You can definitely be losing some low end oomph if your cabs cannot reproduce it well.

I know older GK's are inherently mid rangy and grindy as stated previously. Thats why many of them back in the day (not sure if they still do this, I have not used one in a while), had a biamp option to send the lows to a bass driven cab. Problem was with this that sometimes the mids would fall out. I know some guys use crossovers and eq's to achieve what your doing, or even split their signal. Doug Pinnock (sp?) from Kings X used to split his signal to get that nasty evil bass tone. He would feed one signal into a Mesa Boogie Quad preamp to achieve the mid grind dirty tones, and then the other signal through a Rane EQ with all the lows boosted into I believe Mesa 400's for huge bottom. This is obviously over the top, but just wanted to give an example.

So I agree that adding a good parametric eq is always helpful in sculpting your tone, but if your cabs don't reproduce the low end you're looking for, then all you're going to do is damage your speakers. Be careful not to boost to much of one thing. Its a sure way to clip your amp and fry speakers. Perhaps your cabs just don't match well with the head you're using for the tone you're looking for. Just some food for thought.

19. I'm using a Mesa Boogie PH 2x12