Helpl needed for buying a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rivapu, Jun 28, 2005.

1. rivapu

Jun 27, 2005
    This is my first thread so I Would like to say hello to everyone. :hyper:

I am not a real “bass player”, :meh: I just play the bass ocasionally when I need it to make my own recordings at home (some jingles for the radio and some tunes of my own).

Right now I have a bass that is an imitation of the fender precision bass that is called “legend”, it sounds horrible :mad: and is very hard to play so I am looking for a new bass.

I live in Spain but I am travelling on holidays to Cambridge (UK) for ten days in two weeks and I will have time to visit London.

I would like to spend 600 Euros (400 Pounds) maximum. My new bass has to be easy playable (I am more a guitarist than a bassist), versatile (not only for rock) and “silent” (no hums or buzz or anything because Ii has to be recorded frequently). It should have good intonaton and not to sound weak or electronic.

My questions are:

1.Can someone give me advice about which are the best musical instrument stores at London for buying a bass (or anywhere else not very far from Cambridge).

2.After reading some threads and advices here in “Talkbass” and considering my budget, I have considered this 4 alternatives, what do you think?

2.1 Spector Q4 Pro
    2.2 Rockbass by Warwick Corvette Basic 4
    2.3 Ibanez SR 500
    2.4 Fender Standard Jazz Bass

3.- Is it worth to invest more money for buying something not korean like a Warwick Corvette Standard or a Spector Euro 4 LX?

4.- Do you think that is better to spend the same cash in a pre owned bass? Where is the place to buy a second-hand bass in London?

Thanks in advance,
  2. Instead of the Fender Standard Jazz, consider the MIM Classic 60's or the MIJ Geddy Lee.

Both great construction/sound and easy to play. :p