Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELPPP. I've narrowed it down, help me make a decision

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by draginon, Dec 18, 2005.

WARM MEATY FULL ROUND. which pickup?

Poll closed Dec 21, 2005.
  1. Bartolini P

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Seymour duncan HOT P (SPB2)

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Fender '62 reissue P

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    As far as a P pickup for my PJ bass. FULL ROUND MEATY WARM is what I am looking for. Based on my research I have found 3 AFFORDABLE pickups:

Bartolini P
    Seymour duncan hot P
    Fender '62 reissue P
    (nordstrand and fralin are out of my price range)

I am trying to narrow it down. I play gospel\R&B\Blues\Soul\jazz. I do rock and other stuff but I don't want a harsh or mid intensive tone.

2. you should also consider the Bill Lawrence P-pickup...definitely in the price range, and definitely meaty..."Would someone, please pass the pot roast?" :)

3. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    ughhh.. this is becoming a difficult decision. How is the output and can u give me a link to someone who sells them?

4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I have 2 of the pickups you are asking about. I don't think the SPB2 would be described as warm. I have in one in my Yamaha BB200 and I really like it, but it is aggressive and emphasizes the mids. It also has more output. For what you are looking for I think the Bart pickup is a better choice. I put an 8S in my Cort headless 18 yrs ago and I think it has a very warm and smooth hifi sound.

5. +1 I agree to rule out the SD's for "warmth". Great growly rock pickup...not great for jazz, gospel, and blues.

The barts don't sound very "vintage warm" however...they are similar to the EMG's in that they are clear with good bottom. They are a bit more "compressed" sounding than say a Fender '62 or a Bill Lawrence, I would think. But that may be just the thing you're looking for, too.

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia

7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    "The barts don't sound very "vintage warm". :cool: I agree. They are not vintage warm. Clean and smooth might be a better description. :D

The spb2 can be warm with tone rolled almost all the way down and the volume backed off a bit. It sounds great with roundwound steels or flats. Lately I have it strung with a big fat set of Fender flats, a custom cut piece of foam near the bridge under the strings ;) 50s P bass tone galore. :hyper:

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia