helppp meee

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by AzNDrUnKChIcKeN, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Any advice on what I should learn now? I've been learining for a couple monthes now and I can't find many sites that really teach me to the point that I usderstand. I don't know if im slapping right on the A, D, and G strings and I can't get speed into my pops. I can read music (although I don't read music for bass) and know a couple scales(I already play piano and violin). My tapping is quiet. owell I guess i SUCK at EVERYTHING. I think i'm learning too much all over the place. Sooo anyway, tips on anything that you guys think I should teach myself and techniques that you guys use will be appreciated. thx
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Get a good teacher. He or she will help you focus and a lot of stuff is learned best if you can watch somebody else and if somebody else points out the flaws in your technique.
  3. Remember Mr. Miagi and the Karate Kid? Polish on, polish off, etc. Concentrate on learning the basics of left & right hands:
    Left - learn your way around the fingerboard by practicing a major and a minor scale and arpeggio in each key. (Maybe starting with C major and A minor - because they have no sharps or flats- then going to 1 flat F, 1 # G, 2b, then 2 # etc
    till you get around to F#/Gb.) Alternatively, learn a tune in one key, and then start moving it around into different keys much as the scales I descrived above.
    right - at the same time, practice alternating index and middle fingers plucking, especially coming back down, alternating 1,2,1,2,1,2.... instead of "raking" or using the same finger twice on adjacent strings.
    Once you've mastered those, :oops: (I know) you'll be more ready for the fancier stuff
  4. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ahem, wax on, wax off.... :D

Anyway, I dont know how it is with techniques but is a good site for beginners.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is a classic sign that you need a teacher to progress any further - a teacher could check understanding in a way that no book, website or video can.
  7. Well im not planning on getting any teacher. My brother is getting a Steve Vai and some other DVDs and he told me to watch their bassists play to learn their technique. Scales, I know some on bass already and I know how to play 2 other instruments so I know the flats and sharps in scales but i'll still work on it on my bass. Well, hopefully i'll find something good on the net and in books even though Bruce said teachers can teach me more. Thx for the advice.
  8. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    haha...i love it, the old "i can learn without a teacher" quote. yea, you can learn, but there will be a limit to how much you can learn. motivation without direction will get you nowhere.
  9. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    not trying to bash what you want to do or anything...i mean, you can do what you want.
  10. yeah...i'd definitely get a teacher...websites and vids are helpful but they'll only get you so far. they don't talk back and they're not case sensitive!
  11. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    lol syrinx...i also think that if you try to teach yourself you can do it for the easier stuff maybe, but if you teach yourself wrong, some of the harder things will be impossible to do. but then you would see the need for an instructor (of course, if you DID teach yourself, you would have to go back and start from scratch). my dad told me something when i was about 8, he said "do something right the first time, and you wont have to do it again". i think thats a good quote to apply to this thread.
  12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    how do you want to slap and tap correctly at your first two months of playing???

those techniques needs several months of practice and dedication.

keep on it

also Steve Vai videos wont teach you a lot because the camera is going to focus on the guitarist a lot and also Stu Hamm (or whoever the bassist is) is not going to explain you the things hes doing....

get a Bass video
  13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  14. I second

Look at stuff there *and* practice constantly. Find some better musicians and jam with them, that is the best way to progress rapidly.
  15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here and say outright and unequivocally, that if you have been playing the bass only two months, you are taking on too much to try slapping and tapping at this point, when you may not have even learned correct fretting and plucking technique yet.

Do you even have a clear understanding of your fretboard yet? Can you keep time well? Can you play notes consistently? Can you keep good time with a drummer, even with simple basslines? And why are you jumping right to slap, an advanced technique that requires a good understanding of theory, timing and fretboard familiarity in order to be effective?

The frustration you are facing right now is understandable given how new you are to bass guitar. I don't think you should even consider slapping until maybe six months at the soonest. A simple bassline played well is far more effective than a complicated line played out of time and with poor consistency. Your previous training with other instruments will help you, but only up to a point.

Your brother's advice to watch bassists on Steve Vai videos may be well-intended, but I'm afraid you will find it an exercise in futility. It is even hard to follow a bass player who is doing his own instruction video without having a booklet to read as well. Fact is, it is hard for a beginner to watch a bassplayer and figure out what he is doing, especially at the high speed and dim light of a Steve Vai concert video.

Two ideas here. If you INSIST on jumping in the water at the deep end of the pool with no teacher, at least buy a slap book such as the excellent one, "Slap It" by Tony Oppenhiem or Ed Friedland's book on slap technique (the name escapes me.)

Or if you can find the video, get Alex Sklarevski's video. It is called something like "Slap Bass Program."

One last thing. Becoming a bassplayer is a time consuming process of dedication, discipline and growth over time. Take all the time you need. You should not be in a hurry or under some self-imposed deadline pressure.

The skills required of a bassist take time to develop. Jumping ahead of yourself into advanced techniques may actually delay your development because you will not have acquired the fundamentals to help you learn the advanced techniques. You will make your task much harder than it otherwise would be.

Check this web site for books and videos that may be of some help to you. Of course, a teacher would be the best bet of all.
  16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Listen to the lady, she's said it so well there's nothing to add.
  17. My young chicken... I learned how to play the bass by locking myself in my room and playing along with Iron Maiden and Rush records until I could play all the songs (in my own fashion). Then later I went to BIT and had good teachers (Alex Sklarevski was one of them). I agree with what everyone else says about being patient... you're taking up an art form here, and it takes finesse and experience to properly do the things you're trying, but don't give up trying to learn cool licks just because it's "too soon." Sure, you won't be successful at first, but with enough practice you'll eventually be able to fake it enough to sound sort of like the record, and when that happens you'll be sooo thrilled! That inspiration will lead to more practicing, and you'll get better and better. By the way, certain techniques (i.e. tapping) take some strength to do them well. It would take more than 2 months to develop this strength.

There's nothing wrong with practicing these things, but you should do as Boblicity says and be sure to develop solid fundamentals before you bust any moves in a live situation. If slapping and tapping are musical candybars, good meter and solid straightforward technique are the meat and potatoes. Once you've become good enough to have all these cool things in your arsenal, you'll realize good taste limits when you should use them. My best licks often go unnoticed (except by bassists and engineers) because they blend with the song.

Oh yeah... regarding the Steve Vai video, on the off chance the camera will cut away from Vai, you'd be watching Stu Hamm. A professional could sit in front of the guy live, intently watching him, and still not pick up what he's doing.
  18. While it may help, I don't think teachers are completely necessary. After playing for a year and a half, I took 3 lessons, realized I wasn't learning anything, so I left.

I've learned alot. I went from not knowing a thing about music at all to being more skillful than most trained musicians my age that I know. I know more theory, have more improvisational skills and more music information in general stuff than the band people at my high school who've been in the program all of their lives.

Oh yeah, this site's been a huge help.
  19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no dissent here, in fact, i was going to say that exact thing.

when i used to teach kids, i can't remember how many students i would have who would want to play billy sheehan and stu hamm licks, and couldn't even hold their instrument properly.

now is the time in your development where you _need_ to have a teacher - you will pick up habits now that may be wrong and will be very hard to break later.

barring a teacher, there are some good websites out there with beginner information on them. i second allodox's recommendation for - that's a great one for lessons.