1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Helppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paniak17, Apr 14, 2006.

1. ok, so remember that time i said i had a cold or something a while back (monday), we'll the day i posted that topic I went to the docter. The docter said I had an infection of the middle ear and prescribed me some Zipack (or Azithromycin), Its a 5 day treatment using 6 pills. And I'm on my last pill and it hasn't done a thing for me. Yesterday my dad gave me some medicated ear drops to use, and so far I haven't noticed any results. What should I do????? Has anyone else had a middle-ear infection????? Do they normally last this long? What did you use to treat it? I think I'm gonna start taking some amoxicillin next, after I use my last pill today. Thanks.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Leave the amoxicillin alone. Z-pack is timed released and you'll still be getting meds for 5 more days from the ones you already took.

3. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Azitromycin is quite hardcore antibiotic. it should have killed the bug. IU doubt you have aresistant strain, but get it checked ASAP. Middle ear infections can turn out nasty...they may have to drain your ear. NOT MEAN TO SCARE YOU!...it is a common procedure where they need to take the pus buildup from your ear. See your doctor ASAP. If there's anything else I can help you with, let me know.

4. pus build-up? I haven't had any pus come out my ear................

5. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA

An infection is when bacteria make happy campers in your body. They grow (they divide once every 20 min aprox.). Your natural body reaction is to attack them. The mingle of dead bacteria plus your own body defense cells (called macrophages and lymphocytes) make up that nice creamy yellow thing we know as pus! Your body should react to a bacterial infection by raising your body's core temperature (you get fever) and puts all your energy into fighting the bacteria (you get tired). Also at the site of infection you'll get inflammation (heat, redness, swollen tissue and pain). The antibiotics you are taking are drugs designed to KILL the bacteria and therefore reduce the inflammation, pain, swollen tissue etc...the symptoms I just described. If the infection is quite nasty you'll get pus build-up. That pus needs to be drained out of your ear....you see the trend here? YOU NEED TO GET RID OF THE BACTERIA THAT IS CAUSING YOUR INFECTION!

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That's because it's built up inside!

:bag: That's my medical advice of the year.

7. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA

The one sentence summary of my lenghty explanation!;)

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Go back to the doctors. TB cannot give you medical advice.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1

Z-Packs kick ass! :bassist:

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1, as well.

11. Who needs a doctor??? You just need a clean, well sharpened #2 pencil to puncture your eardrum and let the pus out.

No, I'm joking, maybe you should check back with the doc if it isn't going as expected.

Randy

12. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA

Technically correct! ... but let a pro do it with the right tools! (good one though!)

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Damm I knew I should have cleaned that pencil before I used it!:D

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I didnt read anything here but:

Help, I need somebody,
    Help, not just anybody,
    Help, you know I need someone, help.

When I was younger, so much younger than today,
    I never needed anybody’s help in any way.
    But now these days are gone, I’m not so self assured,
    Now I find I’ve changed my mind and opened up the doors.

Help me if you can, I’m feeling down
    And I do appreciate you being round.
    Help me, get my feet back on the ground,
    Won’t you please, please help me.

And now my life has changed in oh so many ways,
    My independence seems to vanish in the haze.
    But every now and then I feel so insecure,
    I know that I just need you like I’ve never done before.

Won’t you please, please help me.

When I was younger, so much younger than today,
    I never needed anybody’s help in any way.
    But now these daya are gone, I’m not so self assured,
    Now I find I’ve changed my mind and opened up the doors.

Won’t you please, please help me, help me, help me, oh

15. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    i wanted to post that!

16. None of the docters are in today, so my mom wants to take me to the emergency room.......it seems a little extreme. What do you guys say?

17. Can you still stand up alright?

Ear infections are usually only getting to the dangerous level when your balance is shot (altho not always a sign as some lesser infections can do that too), ive had an infection like that before, wasnt fun, woke up in the morning with a really sore ear, tried to stand up and the room went 180 degrees, i dont mean to the side either, it went up! that was an experience i dont want again anyways (1 of many reasons why i shouldnt go on holiday!)

18. Mmmm when I last had an ear infection it burst on its own. Really nasty black pus. But the hallucinations and fever went away pretty shortly after. I was on amoxicillin the whole time as well. Missed a week and change of school, and don't remember some of it very well.

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Don't play with your health get to a Doctor.

20. Ok, so I saw a docter. He gave me Omnicef. He said that a third of the bacteria that causes ear infections are resistant to that Azithromycin and other bacterial infection drugs. He said this was recommended for resistant bacteria. I have to take it two times a day for 10 days. And there big capsules too. Much harder to swallow then Azithromycin. Any comments?