Helter Skelter

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dragen, Feb 20, 2001.

1. Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    I was just wondering what kind of bass did Paul McCartney use one the recording of Helter Skelter? It's bloody brilliant that sound.
    Dragens evil totalitary GITarist.
  2. elan_virpul

Feb 12, 2001
    and i also read somewhere that maybe john lennon played the bass (and mcCartney the guitar). . .

BUT, i don't know if that's 100% correct.
  3. I think Mac was using a Lefty Rick 4001 at the time that was recorded.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I thought Lennon played bass on Skelter.

Maybe I'm thinking about Hey Jude.

Will C.:cool:
  5. I'm not sure what bass was used but, yes, that is John Lennon.
  6. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    if it was Lennon, then it was either a Fender Jazz Bass or a Fender Bass VI. Fender sent them a whole bunch of stuff around '67 or so -- the aforementioned basses as well as Strats, Teles, and Twin Reverb and Bassman amps.
  7. Yeah, I was going to say I thought it might be a Fender. I know Lennon also played bass on "Back In the USSR". He played the six string on that one.
  8. zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    Mccartney played bass on helter skelter!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    NO NO you are all wrong...I played bass on Helter Skelter! ..but I did hear somewhere that I played a Ric when I recorded it.:D
  10. Im actually going to move this to recordings.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I thought it was Steve Severin and Siouxsie and the Banshees!! ;)
  12. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    It was William Campbell, duh! :rolleyes: ;)
  13. Lennon played bass on "USSR"; Harrison played the 6-string bass on the same track.

I only recently read that Lennon played bass on "Helter Skelter." I don't believe it. Lennon barely moved beyond root-five work on "Let It Be" and "Long and Winding Road," and is incredibly sloppy on the latter. "Helter Skelter" is allegedly compiled from a 25-minute jam. I highly doubt that Lennon could manage playing bass for that long, especially given the fairly busy nature of the line.

That is, by the way, Brian Jones playing the sax at the end of the song.
  14. well i know that the guitar part is mccartney. so i assume that he did not play bass on this track. who knows, maybe he overdubbed it.
  15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I bought the Beatles' Anthology book. It says it was Lennon.
  16. I have the Anthology book, too, and I don't recall it being mentioned either way. I'll have to take a look tonight.
  17. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Not to seem like a dick or anything, but what does it matter who played bass?
  18. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  19. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002