Hematoma users question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MohawkHarry, Dec 28, 2007.

1. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    I just got my Hematoma and have been giving it the go around. I am using it in the front on my G-K 800rb and tried it throught just the effects loop in to bypass the GK pre. The pedal sounds good on the overdrive side but on the pre only side I get a drop in signal like a 5db cut instead of boost.
    Do I have a defective pedal or am I not using it right?
    When I turn up the big chicken head all the way and have only the pre "BP" side ingaged my rig is louder when I turn the BP off.
    If I kick on the OB side all is as expected.

2. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    the 5dB is pretty weak when I tried it .. but that should boost your signal anyhow .. not too sure but did you try to start your amp at low power and boost it with the BP or does it totally cut instead of boost?

is it new? ever tweak with?

3. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    At low volume or high when I kick on the BP side alone with the chicken head cranked it's not as loud as when turned off. With the chicken head turned all the way down there is no signal passing through at all.

4. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    Problem solved! The big chicken head knob was pushed on too far and stopped turning when it hit a screw in the case. So I was only getting about half a turn. LOL Now it's rockin along just fine.... who wants to buy my Boss Bass Overdrive?

5. I'll pass on the Boss Overdrive, just wondering what your first opinions of the Hematoma are? Would appreciate soundclips if you can - I have a Fender G L Jazz too and I've been gassing for a Hematoma for a while.

6. Sorry should have made myself clearer, I meant soundclips with the GL Jazz. How are you finding it in general?

7. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    Well no sound clips yet with the Geddy Lee but I did take it to band practice today, aaannnnddddd with the level at 75%, tone to the treble side, good switch flipped right and the gain barely on it sounds grizzly!!! Better than any of my Spectors with EMG active BTS or BQC pre's. Rhino sized growl and retains clarity with the notes well distinguishable.
    I will be leaving this pedal on all the time and it's just what the doctor ordered for me. If required turning the gain up makes my guitar player wish his rig sounded as good.
    I can now do EVH style hamer-on's and pull-off's and two handed tapping and have it sound right!
    I have often thought that a Sansamp BDDI would fit the bill but this unit cost less and has a overdrive, fuzz to die for. I have not found a loss of treble or bass responce at all! a mid cut or slap switch would be the only thing I can think of that would improve this pedal.

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Are you using a Tube or a SS amp?

I used the Hematoma with my GK 1001RB-II and I found I liked it on its own, but I especially liked it running into a SansAmp as I do with my XXLB.

9. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    G-K 800rb into a Ampeg SVT 410hlf, I was going to swap out the pickups in my GL for some humbuckers but no longer think I need to.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021