Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hematoma vs. Big-D, et al.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Mar 5, 2006.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Well I have done searches on a lot of the topics I'm asking about with no good.

Anyway, first off, I hear rave reviews about both HBE pedals. But which is better suited for bass? I assume that it would be the Hematoma, but Big-D is good stuff too. What do you guys think and why?

Also, after listening to the Ashdown Bass Drive clips and clips of other OD's, they all sound really buzzy and thin. Well minus the Hematoma I heard. Anyway, I'm guessing most of those pedals were tracked with passive basses and I do take into account that they aren't being recorded "pro".

Well, passive's usually sit well with all kinds of distorted colors, but active's traditionally don't, at least not with fuzz. But they should be just peachy with OD and distortion. So has anyone tried any of the two HBE's, the Mesa Bottle Rocket or V-Twin or the Ashdown with an active bass?

I don't really want buzz, I want what that old lady got from Wendy's... beef. I mean I have a food fuzz (PC Depth Charge) and I want a good OD or two and one good solid distortion (leaning GT-2). I don't really want mix type colors of distortion, if you get what I mean.

Lastly, does anyone else think that the Tech 21 GT-2 is one of the better/most versatile distortion pedals for bass?

Thanks gang.

2. Ive used the bottle rocket, big d, and hematoma...currently, out of those 3, the hematoma is my pick, but they all are excellent overdrive pedals...here's the lowdown

Bottle Rocket: Very full overdrive tone, but not QUITE as beefy as the Hematoma...it has a lot of treble in its overdrive even with the treble control dialed out...i would pretty much max the bass dial and dial out the treble completely to get the tone i liked best from it...it retails bass about as well as the big d, but noticeably not quite as much...i think its best suited to fingerstyle alt-rock playing to really push thru in a chorus or solo section...mild overdrive isn't really the aim of this pedal...I can get a clip of a song that I used it on in the near future if you like

Big-D: The hands down most versatile out of these 3. Countless different overdrive/distortion sounds to choose from, and excellent bass retention. "Bigger" switch/control is an excellent feature, allowing you to get mild grit and big beefy goodness in the same pedal. My distortion of choice for a very long time (until i got my 3 amp setup complete w/ an original marshall guvnor and a home made modded brassmaster copy)...I still used it in my other band (1 amp setup) until i was able to grab a Hematoma...don't get me wrong, the Big-D is EXCELLENT, but the Hematoma offered something different to me that I wasn't QUITE able to perfect with the Big-D...I would use this pedal in any type of music due to the versatility of it.

Hematoma: Absolutely fabulous overdrive pedal...no matter where you set any of the knobs, it is ALWAYS beefy and greasy and thick...The EQ shift switch enables you to go from a more gritty overdrive, to a smoother, almost mroe natural sound - and you STILL have a beefy bottom end. The Preamp in it is very useful as a clean boost...Overall, the beefiest of the 3, and you can still get the treble character (like the Bottle Rocket) by turning up the tone knob. The DARKEST overdrive tone I have ever heard...Wonderful for rock, metal, blues...everything.

as far as the active bass issue, I have always used these pedals with active basses (Warwick Thumb BO 5, Spector Legend 4) and they sound absolutely fabulous...Flatwound strings seem to work very well with the Bottle Rocket and the Big D...I prefer roundwounds on my Spector when using the Hematoma (I tried my Thumb w/ flats going thru it and it sounded like it was just WAY too dark)

Let me know if you want to hear the Bottle Rocket clip (Thumb BO 5 w/ Nylon Flats -> EHX Black Finger -> bottle Rocket -> SWR Black Beauty...blended signal mic. and direct)

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Thank you, that was extreamly informative. I'm glad you mentioned flats because I sting my Zon with flats and I know that strings have HUGE impact on sound. Ecspecially with my distortion it seems that it "dulls" them off a little, which I like. Again thank you.

I might end up with both HBE's :D . We'll see.

Just for fun, I would like to hear the clips that you have. IT would definately help.

Thanks again.

4. I have no clips as of yet of the Hematoma...for a clip of the HBE Big D, check out www.myspace.com/itsthenewromantics ...play the song "Careless Youth" The Big-D is used in the 3 amp setup for the chorus (or any part in the song using distortion) There's a clean signal, a signal going thru a boss sd-1, and a signal going thru the Big D...almost all of that overdrive sound is acheived w/ the big-d, the sd-1 just adds warmth to the clean bass signal under it essentially

For the bottle rocket, check this out http://media.putfile.com/Dandelion-Wine I recorded this a few years ago...i think the only time I used overdrive was the outro of the song ("A wish is just an easy way of breaking your own heart") It sounds great in that mix, unfortunately, theres a lot of guitar on top of it, so you cant hear it on its own...i havn't been as satisfied with it since, so i got rid of it...o well

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Cool tunes.

Yea, the Big-D sounds very good and mild. I like mild. Sounded good in that mix. I am DEFINATELY going to try the Hematoma, after that the Big-D.

Thanks again.

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sweet! I see a Hematoma in my future, for sure. I just hope the blood doesn't mess up my fx pedals too much...