Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hemlock top

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by tommy154578, Mar 21, 2004.

1. tommy154578

tommy154578

Jul 14, 2003
    I've just run into this fully carved bass a friend of mine borrowed (don't remember the info about origin, maker, etc). The sound was really nice and the top was carved out of hemlock pine. Since it looked pretty much like a spruce top (at least to me, a very uninformed player) plus I haven't heard a thing about hemlock I would like to know if anyone has any comments on it.

Thanks

T.R.

2. Hemlock is a soft wood that is very common where I live. It isn't a pine wood at all but closely related to fir. Because of it's nutruel characteristics, it is often times stained to match more expensive woods. It's not what you would call an exotic wood but it's easy to work with and I'm sure it does the job.

3. tommy154578

tommy154578

Jul 14, 2003
    Thanks Bassin'. What do you mean "it's not a pine at all"? I understand it's a conifer like spruce, what's the difference with pine?

T.R.

4. Hemlock is genus tsuga. Pine is genus pinus. Different trees.
    I have never heard of hemlock in a bass.

5. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    and it smells terrible when when you're cutting it...looks alot like pine/spruce but once you cut it, oh, you know immeadiately it ain't pine!

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Didn't Socrates play a hemlock bass?

Alternately

Isn't that sort of like writer's block for church bassists?

7. That's the one he used to develop the Socratic Method.