Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hemp Speaker Cones???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Nov 25, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    just thought i'd pass the word on, about these. yes, they're made of "hemp", but dont get any wrong ideas!

for a few years, guitar players like Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, Steve Kimock, etc. have long known about Tone Tubby speakers.

compared to the usual papercone used, these are on the darker side of the scale, but smoother, sweeter, and an amazing take on the vintage Vox Blue Dog sound.

but while ordering up a pair for a new 2x12 guitar cab i was building, Charlie at the A Brown Soun, and he said, they're currently developing a 10" bass speaker for all the bassists!

best of all, they withstand much higher stress than any papercone would. interesting for us, bassists, no?

should be mad cool. i'll see if he can send a cab loaded up with some to BP for a review.

http://www.tonetubby.com/speaker.htm

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I'd bet those cabs are gonna be smokin'!!

Sorry, I had to do it..............:0

3. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA
    That's AWESOME!!!! Please keep us posted as to when the 10's will be coming out.:bassist:

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The U.S. govt has done much to prevent the growth of this industry. It would economically threaten the paper industry. Many products made of cotton could be replaced by hemp which doesn't require pesticides to grow. Congress is afraid that someone will grow the high producing stuff within a field of the rope, cloth, paper type. Guess what? The high producing stuff becomes inert when in contact with the other.

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Well I had two JBL D-140s reconed with hemp. I was playing Dub Manh and the voice coils began to overheat. First thing I notice I no hear the drummer or the guitar player. They are laying in front of my cabinet and the smell is just sweeeeeet!
    Then I couldn't see them but the audience thought we were using a fog machine which we weren't. The front row was basically in the same shape as me mates. Be well and I can't wait to play them again.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    uh...

i think Chadds been sniffing my guitar cabs... :meh:

7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Smoke 'em if ya got 'em! ;)