Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Hendrix" on VH1

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Feb 7, 2003.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I really wasn't sure if I should put this in OT or Misc. but since it's about Jimi I thought that it would get a good response. Sorry if this is the wrong forum though mods. :)

I actually saw this movie on video about a half a year ago, so I was a little bit reluctant to watch it on VH1, since the cablized version of movies are usually butchered beyond recognition. The only things they seemed to cut was the profanity and nudity, which is of course understandable. So that made me happy.

This movie never fails to touch me. Maybe because like so many people here, I'm a huge Hendrix fan. It really gives you insight on what Hendrix was about and what he was like as a person. Of course it has the classic rock biography formula: Brillant musician raises to stardom from nothing, musician creates great music, musician goes into downward spiral as they self-destruct but even as the movie goes into the self-destructive phase, it cuts back to an interview with Jimi where he gives optimistic philosphies.

What are your thoughts on this movie?

BTW, was the movie company denied the rights to use songs Hendrix wrote because every song he plays in the movie is a cover. I.e. Like a Rolling Stone, All Along the Watchtower, Hey Joe, ect.

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I saw the movie for the first time last night and was quite impressed. I've always been a huge fan, but while watching the film (and afterwards,) I came to the realization that Jimi has a huge influence on me, musically.

As far as the cover songs go, didn't they play "Stone Free" (written by Hendrix) in the movie?

3. I saw a few minutes of it on VH1 late at night last week. The only thing I remember was the bassist having a P-bass, and Jimi was playing a Squier. Seemed a bit innacurate in that aspect to me. Maybe I should watch the whole thing sometime.

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I love Jimi and I had to turn it off.

5. I didn't see much of it, some of the beginning.

There were some definate technical inaccuracies. (I might be wrong, but it seemed that in one scene there was no bassist with Cream). But I think the guy who did Jimi really nailed him, as far as mannerisms and such. Maybe I'll watch the full thing now.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I thought it was hilarious.

No disrespect to Hendrix, who IMO makes a better God than Clapton.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Jack was there, but it looked like he was playing his Fender VI, which can easily be mistaken for a guitar.