1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hendrix

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Seelesauger, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Seelesauger

Seelesauger

Aug 10, 2006
    I am a huge Hendrix fan but one thing I could never figure out is, when he plays with his "teeth" does he just to the fingering and act like it or is he actually playing it?

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I can't say for sure, but I'd bet he was just tapping, or hammering on/off. I read in one of his biographies that he would catch a lot of heat from Little Richard by playing with a lot of flash and stealing his thunder, so to speak.

3. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    I always thought he was picking with his tongue

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Wouldn't he be licking in this case (as opposed to picking)?

5. Seelesauger

Seelesauger

Aug 10, 2006
    can people play with their tongue?

6. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    That one solo break in Johnny B. Goode; there's a certain sound before each note; hard to describe - like he was playing with a very dense, very heavy pick. It's that sound right before the notes themselves, like the vibrating string is being stopped before being plucked again; a quickly-shortening buzz I guess you might say - like the string is coming in contact with something with a very hard surface, with no give whatsoever.

That's the part of the movie (Woodstock, no?) where he's 'supposedly' playing with his teeth. Can't really get that sort of 'bite' with a guitar pick let alone the tongue. I vote for him playing - at least that one particular break - with his actual teeth.

PS: Think it was Monterey. Anyhow, here's the link. It's about 3:01

Berkeley maybe?

7. Akami

Akami Four on the floor Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Definitely playing with his teeth, which is why the notes have such a sharp attack.
    It becomes much more legato sounding when doing left-hand only playing as Steve Vai and others are well known for.

It's actually not even all that difficult to do, but when I first tried it years ago I used to tear my gums up.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    He was.
    Seen him live.

9. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    AHA! I knew it.

10. Akami

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Not really possible to pick with the tongue, nor would it have the tone that you can clearly hear on the live version of Hey Joe and the lead up to the Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock.

You can also clearly see it in those videos; teeth.

The tongue thing was simply a visual for the girls.

11. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I saw him in 1968 from the 3rd row. He did indeed play with his teeth - it was no trick. You can hear the difference in the attack tone when he's picking with is teeth.

I've often wondered what Jimi would have been doing today if he was still amongst us.

12. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Probably something similar to this guy. I caught him live in February '05. "Guitar Shorty" only did a couple of Hendrix tunes, but they were the best covers of Hey Joe and Voodoo Chile Slight Return I've heard.

His band is tight and super cool to talk to. If he comes through your area, definitely check him out.

13. I have a video of him playing Hey Joe, it's a pretty old video (black & white, he has some crazy hair). During the solo there's a decent shot of him picking with his teeth, and yes, he does use his teeth (at least in this video). It almost looks like he's biting it.
    He's just using his 2 front teeth, just like a guitar pick, he's just playing a pretty simple little solo. You can't play very complicated stuff with your teeth.
    But it is teeth, you can tell by the sound. You can't get a TWANG like that with your tounge.

14. I can, it's hard because all the fingerings feel different, so I can't do anything verry advanced, but I can do it

15. Akami

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    You can play with your tongue on guitar or bass?

I can imagine the bass being easier to do with the tongue.

Actually I can imagine other things being easier with the tongue too!:ninja:

16. bass, I can't even do finger style on a guitar, let alone tounge style

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021