Henkka T Blacksmith (Children of Bodom) Sound

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stu hamm rules!, Jan 9, 2003.

1. I want to try and get a similar sound to his, particularly check out the intro to "warheart" by children of bodom. He gets a very aggresive rattly metallic churny crunchy tone. I just want to know how to get this, i have tried fiddling with my eq settings, (my amp only has 3 band) as well as my ibanez phat hed distortion pedal and i cant seem to get the same sound. How should i set up my eq to get this sound? i play an ibanez btb 406 which i get a nice tone out of, but it seems better for smoother tones. Would it help to get a new bass and set it up differently, does it need a high/low action? i think he plays a jackson, do you think a jackson bass would give a tone more similar to his?
  2. Bump.

I'd love a sound like his...
  3. Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    I just listened to it, so bump:p
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    he played an esp tom araya sig at tuska
  5. He played a Jackson 5 string until a couple years ago when he switched to ESP 4 strings, downtuned. Here's a guy who had an excellent live tone, which is rare at most of the metal shows I've been to. A lot of the grind comes from a very low tuning and pickstyle playing. You can probably cop a similar tone with a Sansamp BDDI and a lot of drive.
  6. hipper_than_tho

Jun 20, 2007
    Hey i know im a newbie but i was searching for what gear henkka actually uses haha!

I can get a reallllllllllly similar sound out of a
    Sansamp bass driver DI..just over half drive just over half presence really brings out the rattly sound in the strings and of course new strings always helps..

my set up is usually..

LTD F-254 or a Maverick Nemesis 5 string
    Boss GEB7 - EQ pedal use it to scoop some mid n add more treble
    Sansamp Bass Driver.:)
  7. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    new strings are porbably a must here, clanky.
  8. and low low action to get some "musical" buzz and clank. This usually requires a high quality bass. My Lakland 55-94 does a great job at this.
  9. TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    Are you sure??
    He does have his own signature bass very similar to Tom Arayas http://www.espguitars.co.jp/gallery/henkka/index.html

And his main gear:

Equipment you use?
    ESP Custom Basses, at the moment a Black Araya shaped 4 string (34" neckthru body alder, EMG 35DC pickups) and 5 string "Assault" shaped (34" neckthru body alder, EMG 40DC pickups)

Amplifier is Ampeg SVT3Pro, and cabinet Ampeg 810, I boost my sound with a Super Overdrive pedal or sans amp pre amp.

Check: http://www.cobhc.com/index.php?id=henkka
  10. Anyone has this ESP LTD model, the HTB 600? Im recently Interested In It because of Henkka...