1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Henneken Archtop Bass Horror Story

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mendez44, Mar 3, 2008.

1. mendez44

mendez44

Jan 21, 2003
    Hi All.

I ordered a Henneken Archtop Bass directly from Markku Henneken back on 8/9/2003 (yes almost 5 yrs ago). http://www.henneken-archtops.com/
    I still have the original invoice and all. At the time i dropped the deposit down. Markku kept in touch with me for the first two years or so. He sent me progress pics for a while. About 2 or 3 yrs ago he sent me an email and told me that my bass was just about done (sent me pics and all) and i should wire him the balance. Which i did. Then i never heard from him again! He doesn't answer the phone, respond to letters, faxes, and my emails bounce back. I have been totally ripped off by this man. I'm posting for two reasons - 1) just a warning for those who might come across his site and may think about placing an order - don't do it as you will never see your instrument! 2) does anybody know him and or live in germany or finland (he apparently lives in both countries)? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I would like for him to know that Adam in New York City is still waiting on his bass and or his refund and has been totally ripped off!
    Also, does anybody know of any jazz guitar forums? i would like to post all over the internet if possible. Thanks all.

2. Ouch, I really feel for you man. That does suck! Its harder to go after someone when they're not within your reach.

3. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I have friends that live in Germany. I'll pass along your info and see what they can find out.

Edit: I passed your info to my friend in Germany. I'll post his responses when I get them.

4. Hawaii Islander

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    My friend from Germany says that the website hasn't been updated since 2005. He also says that the number listed comes back as no longer in service. He's going to check the phone directories for a home phone number, but it doesn't look promising. It appears that the company is no longer in business (at least at the location in Germany). I'll post more info when I get it.

5. balzary

balzary

Oct 28, 2004
    I think there are many people from Finland on talkbass. I will do a search on one finnish forum, maybe something will come up.

Edit: At least the guy is alive, since they showed a program about him on finnish tv about 6 months ago and he is enlisted as a teacher for autumn 2007 in a sort of "evening/hobby" school in his area. I also read about one guy owning a guitar made by him in 2005.

6. Jonah

Jonah Lord of the String

Jan 19, 2007
    Vantaa, Finland
  7. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I do wish you the best of luck in resolving this situation – but I can't help but wonder why you waited "2 or 3 years" after the luthier's total disappearance to try to do something about it. As I'm sure you know, the longer you wait, the harder these things are to resolve.

You've been a TalkBass member since seven months before you placed the order, so it's not like you just learned how to used the internet. :confused:

8. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    Damn, that really sucks.

All the best with your problem.

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I know what your going through.

Same thing happened to me. ( I will keep builder nameless)

I went three years, and never got bass I ordered.

best of luck.

10. *3 years? Name names- let's not let this person do it again.

11. Hawaii Islander

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Here's the latest info on Marrku Henneken that could be found by my friends Jimmy and Rich over in Germany.

Impressum:

Karelian Guitars
    Henneken & Klippel
    An Der Lünette 6
    76726 Germersheim
    GERMANY

i found this:

Klippel Erwin
    Adresse
    August-Keiler-Str. 9
    76726 Germersheim Telefon
    07274 32 08

the domain is registered in Finnland
    it makes sense, because of his email address:

markku.henneken@oyk.fi

could be that markku is gone back to finnland

Karelian Guitars
    Markku Henneken &
    Wilma Klippel
    Petäiskyläntie 15
    75930 PETÄISKYLÄ
    +358 (0)13 - 46 22 48
    050 382 4254
    www.henneken-archtops.com

http://www.balticnordic.com/en/company-inf...en-Klippel.html

Try this contact info.

Let us know how it turns out!

Mike

12. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    You don't want to name the builder? Wouldn't you have appreciated being warned? :rollno: :scowl:

13. Hi.

That really SUCKS.

Us Finns aren't usually like that, and as here's only a handful of luthiers who can support themselves by building instruments, I find this really strange.

Can't obviously promise anything, but I will look into it.

And yes, if Your money is gone, the link Jonah posted will be worthwile to look at.

Regards
    Sam

14. mendez44

mendez44

Jan 21, 2003
    thanks so much everybody. i'm working on the info hawaii islander provided. if i can't get through by next week i will follow that link jonah provided. i appreciate all!

15. balzary

balzary

Oct 28, 2004
    I assume you are basically dealing with the company that this luthier is running, so this link might be also useful http://www.kuluttajavalituslautakunta.fi/en/index.html

Before going this route,according to the text, you should try kuluttajaneuvoja (consumer adviser) of his town. I'll try to come up with contact info to him..

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Sounds like this guy ain't too good with customer serivce!

17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    There was a big thread about it.
    I was given a bass.
    But after three years, I did not get bass I originally ordered.
    I was given a bass to appease me.
    Different model.
    Anything was better than nothing. ( they would not refund my money)

I was asked when I did get a bass.
    Not to say any negative comments about there company.

No names, but I will say R. T. ( you can guess)

18. I guess you could say there has been a renaissance of this issue.:bag:

;)

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars