Henry 8X8 feedback....deep enough or no?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Any testimonials on this cab? Anyone use two at a time? How much useable bottom for you is there? I hear so much about speaker excursion and blown drivers in this model, do you get enough deep, fat bass when playing yours? I don't care for highs but a deep, small cab with a snarly midrange sounds very appealing.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just my experience - Used one in a large club (approx. 900 fire code capacity) with a high ceiling, stage about 6 ft. above the floor.

The room killed the Henry I had to use. Those quick itsy-bitsy speakers just didn't project enough. 30+ feet away, it produced a boomy mess. I could have mic'd it through the PA but that was all subwoofers and would have sounded like slop, too.

The bassist in a band who went on before us had just a high-wattage, high quality, 15" and it sounded much better.

I guess if my band was just playing some nu metal B-string sludge where no one cared if one note sounded just like all the others, the Henry would have been fine.
  3. Mmm..interesting, thanks. You'd think smaller speaker would project MORE rather than less? Boomy because of the over EQ-ing you had to add due to it's inefficiency at low frequencies perhaps?
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm no acoustic engineer by any stretch of the imagination, Mad. But I have been tweaking knobs on amps for a few decades.

Maybe if I wanted to go "ping" instead of "whoomp" the Henry would have been fine in that big room.

I heard another bassist with a nice MTD use it after our band was finished. It sounded okay in the Green Room but still sounded like slop when I went out on the floor. This guy was even playing on the 24th fret at times.
    I know it wasn't the head. Every SWR head I've used I've really liked.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i have to say i had a friend who swore by his for a long time
    in my experience the 8x8 produced a lot of low end, the 4x8 didnt have as much but sounded tighter
    perhaps the porting/venting of that 8x8 cab worked to beef up the low end but at the expense of clarity
  6. That cabs got some of the most serious porting I have ever seen, hence it's huge excursion rates. Ain't getting any better that what it is already. Still, a pair? THAT would be a nifty set-up. Doesn't Hutch Hutchison use that?
  7. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    I use a 4x8 myself (swr) and I really like the sound!This thing can go deep...
    So deep you have to eq out the boom actually, i usually drop the 30 hz slider a 6db or so. It cuts, too.

Midrange enough imo. I had a rehearsal with it yesterday and with my mastervolume on half and preamp on 4 on a 240 watt ss amp our guitarist with his wimpy marshall stack kept complaining about my loudness... (he was pushing his)
    Very sound efficient, didn't experience that much volume with another cab yet, probably because of that huge hole in the back
    :eek: ;)

I'd say try it before you buy it, I'm happy I did.
  8. I've had a Henry 8x8 as my main cabinet for 6+ years now.

Has major booty.

You can contact Kelly, he's the resident Henry 8x8 fanatic at SWR.

It's my favorite cabinet of all time.

I push it with 500 watts from a SWR SM 400-S.

Since SWR has switched from Celestions to Foster speakers the sound is much tigher then the older models.

It needs to be EQ'd properly.

The eights are super quick and you can really hear yourself on stage and it projects a great distance.
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I totally agree with Donne. I used one for a while and found it to be exactly as Donne described. Great cab. If you know what you're doing, you can get excellent full-range sound from it. I especially like the way they sound onstage, standing in front of it.
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my guitar player/bandmate has a new 8x8 powered by a bass 350. i use it for rehearsals, and while i think it sounds really nice, it's pretty inefficient and struggles to keep up vs a mesa 4x12, peavey KB300, and not horribly loud drummer, even when using my 1kw rack. two of them would be required to match the kind of grunt my 6x10 throws. after playing on it a bit, i'm really glad i went with the senior.

but i DO think it sounds better than the senior. more low end with all the mid growl and clear top end that the senior has. (not that i think the senior is lacking in lows, but that the henry has SERIOUS lows)

edit: i should also say that i haven't messed around with EQ on it. i run everything nearly flat (just a little bass boost) when running into my senior so that's how i ran it into the 8x8.
  11. Maybe it's because I use a compressor, but my
    8x8 is frigging LOUD!!!

I have to cut @ 40Hz to prevent all the windows from rattling.

I A/B'd my Henry 8x8 with a SWR Big Bertha and the Henry was much louder and deeper. BION (Believe It Or Not).

I've never had any problem keeping up with a 5150 and JCM 100 both with 4x12's and a Animal Drummer.

Then again I do have the 8x8 totally dialed in.

There's nothing like the wind from 3 huge front loaded ports to catch a breeze on a hot stage.
  12. Ok, well this all sounds great but what about speaker excursion? I would run allot of deep dub bass and DBX subharmonic synth with mine and am worried that those wee 8" drivers will end up in my pedalboard somewhere. I have never had an issue B4 with my synths and filters and the thought of two 8x8's pumping away behind me really gets me giddy.
    Donne; what exactly do you mean by saying it needs to be EQ'd properly? Is there some weird freq. bump or do you just need to goose the subs somewhat?
  13. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I agree with Jason about the volume issue.I was at SWR and we ran an SM-500 into a Henry and a Senior and the Senior was much louder with the same settings on the amp.However I do think the Henry has a much more present midrange than the Senior.IMO most of the SWR cabs have a pretty transparent midrange thus making it harder to hear yourselfonstage.That's why the Henry cuts through so well in a band situation.It was designed to sound just like a SVT 8-10 but in a smaller package.Eric Wilson from Sublime switched from an SVT 8-10 to a Henry a few years back because the Henry was smaller/lighter and according to him had the exact same sound as the Ampeg.I don't know if he still uses one but he seemed to think it had enough low end for the reggae stuff.
  14. Aha...but Eric Wilson also runs his DBX 120XP into a pair on Meyer active 18" subs. I think I should just take the plunge and scoop a Henry. From all I've read they sound fantasic; a mini-SVT would be ideal! Anyone know of any good deals...?
  15. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    What happened to the EB cabs? Or are you adding the Henry to them?
  16. Naw, I love those EB's but need to unload this Eden D210XLT that I have never used for something I will utilize. Just a different flavour the Henry, one I have always been curious about. Who knows...If I like it enough, I will go with a pair and lose the EB's. We'll see...
  17. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I A/B'd the 8x8 and the Senior and then the Senior and a Goliath III. All with SWR 750. These are my conclusions. The 8x8 is really fast but has no sustain. The notes don't ring they cut off. The Senior is a loud cabinet. Some manufacturers will tweak their cabs for volume over frequency response. Read the specs the Senior doesn't go very low. The lows of the 8x8 are at -6db. That's not in your face like an 18. Now this isn't an issue if you're using a P-Bass. An active 5 string like a neck through Ken Smith and the lows just disappear. The Goliath III s have the lows the specs say. One Senior is louder than a Goliath III. I bought two IIIs. In your hands this research may have different results. And all these cabinets are good!
  18. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think the B string is better on the senior even though the 8x8 supposedly goes lower. maybe it's because i'm hearing more of the 2nd harmonic, but regardless it's more present and earthshaking.
  19. Shimbaku

Oct 31, 2002
    The SWR 8x8 is a scary little cabinet... scary, because the speakers look like they are going to explode when hit with lower freqs.
  20. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I am using a Henry right now, and am very happy with it. However, pushing it too hard on the low end does tend to make me worry about the speakers becoming projectiles. I have played it along with a couple of full powered subwoofers, and with the right EQ it works beautifully. So, I am saving for a bag end 2-12" sub to add to the mix, and all should be well.