1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Henry Cow, Art Bears, Fred Frith & the whole RIO thing, anyone dig?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Mar 28, 2006.

1. As a result of my current obsession with Krautrock I have also discovered the joys of the mysterious RIO/Avant-prog scene that was the contemporary of Krautrock. Hard hitters were Henry Cow and the Art Bears. Wow, what great stuff. The Art Bears have this jazz/evil operatic feel to them. That vocalist, she's friggin insane! Wailing out crazy , slightly out of tune harmonies while Fred Frith slows out his electric fury underneath.
    And Henry Cow! Grateful Dead and Traffic have a baby with Sun Ra and it's eleventy billion times better than the three combined. Very dicordant stuff, probably hard to access but I love this stuff. This site has some great bands on it that kinda fit with this stuff-

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_LIST.asp?style=36

Anyone else dig? Anything I should check out?

2. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I love Henry Cow's Concerts CD. The first disc goes to the desert island with me. But I love Hatfield and the North and National Health a little more than the Cow....

If you like Dagmar, check out the Slapp Happy releases, more twisted pop than RIO, but essential. The Slapp Happy/Henry Cow Desperate Straights album is very good.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Massacre: Fred Frith goes punk with Bill Laswell on bass

Frank Zappa: Grand Wazoo

Also: Soft Machine, Hatfield and the North, Matching Mole, National Health

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Cool bands, all.
    Don't forget Frith as bassist in Naked City.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Too artsy for me... maybe.

I haven't explored much, Henry Cow was too much for me.

6. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    RIO is osmething I can only handle in small doses, but that said, Thinking Plague is definitely worth checking out.

7. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Samla Mammas Manna/Zamla Mammas Manna/Von Zamla from Sweden. Start with the album Familjesprickor (Family Cracks). Great stuff.

Belgium's Univers Zero was also part of the movement. If you like Magma, check them out.