henry eccles bass sonata

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by steve 1, Mar 7, 2002.

1. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    i have to do henry eccles' bass sonata for a nyssma (new york state school music association) solo, and i was just wondering if any of you have ever played this, and if so - do you have any tricks to help get through it?
  2. I have played it. Do you have any more specifical questions or areas you are having trouble with? There is a lot to discuss in a given piece, and too many areas to mention in a general sense.

3. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    on the 2nd part, the allegro-do you know how you have to play the chords, well, my fingerings for them seem really bad. Do you know a good way to finger the chords that are there?
  4. Hortense&bow

Apr 15, 2002
    It's a great piece! I am still working on it.What my teacher showed me a few years ago is:
    play Bb and D at the same time on the D and G string respectively, and when you've made those two notes heard, extend your hand fast to hit the D and G harmonics with your third finger.

So you actually play the chord in two steps, Bb/D and then D/G. Done fast enough, sounds like the three notes were ringing together.

I don't know if it's standard, but I kind of like it. At least it's feasable for me.

5. justintonation

Apr 29, 2005
    San Diego
    My teacher had me bow the three note chord in thumb position: first finger Bb, thumb over D and G harmonics. The trick, I guess, is to start bowing on the Bb and then roll the bow quickly over the D and then the G harmonic.

- Justin
  6. Justintonation's chord is easier, but I like the broken shift that Hortense suggested.