Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

henry eccles bass sonata

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by steve 1, Mar 7, 2002.

1. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    hey-
    i have to do henry eccles' bass sonata for a nyssma (new york state school music association) solo, and i was just wondering if any of you have ever played this, and if so - do you have any tricks to help get through it?

2. I have played it. Do you have any more specifical questions or areas you are having trouble with? There is a lot to discuss in a given piece, and too many areas to mention in a general sense.

-Chris

3. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    on the 2nd part, the allegro-do you know how you have to play the chords, well, my fingerings for them seem really bad. Do you know a good way to finger the chords that are there?

4. Hortense&bow

Hortense&bow

Apr 15, 2002
    It's a great piece! I am still working on it.What my teacher showed me a few years ago is:
    play Bb and D at the same time on the D and G string respectively, and when you've made those two notes heard, extend your hand fast to hit the D and G harmonics with your third finger.

So you actually play the chord in two steps, Bb/D and then D/G. Done fast enough, sounds like the three notes were ringing together.

I don't know if it's standard, but I kind of like it. At least it's feasable for me.

Patrick.

5. justintonation

justintonation

Apr 29, 2005
    San Diego
    My teacher had me bow the three note chord in thumb position: first finger Bb, thumb over D and G harmonics. The trick, I guess, is to start bowing on the Bb and then roll the bow quickly over the D and then the G harmonic.

- Justin

6. Justintonation's chord is easier, but I like the broken shift that Hortense suggested.