Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Henry Grimes at David Gage

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Confucius, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Confucius

Confucius

Dec 27, 2004
    New York
    Did anyone here check this out? I unfortunately couldn't go.

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I'll try to catch him (H Grimes) in a trio w/ W Parker and Rob Brown (a sax) tomorrow nite in Vitry-sur-Seine, J Vilar Theater. Yep that's a double-double-bass show.

3. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    God, I can't wait to get back to the city........... :crying:

4. Confucius

Confucius

Dec 27, 2004
    New York
  5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Over in the FREE JAZZ thread, we were talking a little about the "cross pollination" of players and genres in the late 50s early 60s here in the city. I was talking with a piano player who was on the scene then (Billy Higgins and Frank Strozier lived in his building) and he was talking about seeing Henry on all of these straight ahead gigs. The only record I heard him on (straight ahead) was that McCoy with MISS JONES on it, but recently I got turned onto the compilation called SONNY ROLLINS AND COLEMAN HAWKINS with Henry playing on JUST FRIENDS, ALL THE THINGS and SUMMERTIME (nice, very open solo on SUMMERTIME).
    And then I came across some work Ben Tucker (Marian McPartland, Herbie Mann fer cripes criminey) had done with Ornette.

So I must reiterate - ANY time you are playing what you hear in a musical situation, you are playing free.

6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
  7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    That's so ****ing cool, he's doing a date in September with Albert Ayler and then one two weeks later with Mose Allison!

8. Confucius

Confucius

Dec 27, 2004
    New York
    He had an amazing and diverse career before he disappeared. I think this ESP record is his only date as a leader and its quite wonderful.

http://www.espdisk.com/esp1026.html

9. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I have that one - I recommend it, it's very good

10. musicmargaret

musicmargaret

Feb 15, 2005
    New York City
    JazzNewYork Productions
    Hello, all. It's great to read everyone's comments about wonderful Henry Grimes. I'm his partner (and manager), and I wanted to let you know that you can find out all about Henry, including biographies, photos, concert calendar, discography, and press quotes, at www.HenryGrimes.com. The hollow-body guitar player Jason mentioned is Dave Ross, one of Henry's students, and I'd say a stellar one, though I'm not a jazz guitar fan in general either, my great favorite being Sonny Sharrock. The quartet Confucius mentioned is called Spiritual Unity and is led by Marc Ribot, and this group plays all Albert Ayler music, and a CD is forthcoming on Pi Recordings, www.PiRecordings.com. And Henry's most recent CD in commercial release is the Henry Grimes Trio live at Kerava (Finland), 'O4, featuring David Murray and Hamid Drake, and that's on Ayler Records, www.ayler.com. If you're interested in studying with Henry (we live in New York City), please send an Email to musicmargaret@earthlink.net. Thanks! And I'd just like to add that ever since Day One of Henry's return to the music world after many years away, the great people at David Gage String Instruments have been helpful and caring beyond belief, so please avail yourselves of their services!

11. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Hi Margaret - you wouldn't remember me, but we sat together once at the cooler listening to Hamiett Bluiett's Coltrane B'day tribute show. You hooked me up with a book on Sonny Sharrock, which I still have. Great to see you here.

Y'all should check out http://www.joemcphee.com/jny/index.html

12. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Any details on this book? I am a MASSIVE Sonny Sharrock fan and am unaware of any book.

13. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Contact Margaret Davis - if she still has em.....I don't have my copy in the same continent as me

14. musicmargaret

musicmargaret

Feb 15, 2005
    New York City
    JazzNewYork Productions
    Guys, thank you for asking. This should really be a separate Sonny Sharrock thread, but I don't know how to change it, and I'm out on tour with the Henry Grimes & Marshall Allen "Spaceship on the Highway" tour using a public computer. But the Sonny Sharrock book, "Sweet Butterfingers," is on my Web site, at <www.jazznewyork.org>, and scroll down on the home page and click on Sonny's name to open the book. It is free and available to all. There are also print copies, but I don't have any more at the moment.

15. Confucius

Confucius

Dec 27, 2004
    New York
    I definitely will be in the audience when the spaceship lands at Vision Festival on March 19th. 10 PM Les Gallery Clemente Soto Velez 107 Suffolk St. (at Rivington St.)

http://www.visionfestival.org/main.asp

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Marshall Allen....Good times.... I saw Allen and Tyrone Hill in Philly not long ago...

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Is Henry coming back to Philly anytime this year ?

18. Confucius

Confucius

Dec 27, 2004
    New York
  19. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    That foto reminds me of what Clifford Jordan said about John Gilmore - "Yeah, John. We played together in Chicago and he was playing his ass off. He moved to NY and I didn't hear from him, but when I moved there I ran into him at a jam session. He was wearing an aluminum (foil) hat........Still played his ass off."