1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Henry Grimes

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by VTDB, Apr 13, 2006.

1. VTDB

VTDB

Oct 19, 2004
    VeeTee
    I went and saw the Henry Grimes trio this past weekend. Henry Grimes on bass, Marilyn Crispell on piano and Andrew Cyrille on drums. Really amazing show. Such an unbelivable amount of empathy between the musicians. I would highly recommend seeing this unit to anyone.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Cool...what a great trio! I see that he and Marilyn have done some gigs with Roswell Rudd recently as well....

3. vlado

vlado

Mar 14, 2006
    Buje, Croatia
    I wish I get to see this guy playing! I listened to some recordings and I liked it a lot. A year ago he played in Ljubljana with a quartet including Marc Ribot, and him I like a lot anyway. But I had a gig that night and couldn´t go.

4. musicmargaret

musicmargaret

Feb 15, 2005
    New York City
    JazzNewYork Productions
    The wonderful musician Henry Grimes (now playing violin as well as double-bass!) has been very busy, playing more than 2OO concerts in 19 countries since 2OO3 to great acclaim. You can keep up with his doings at his Web site, www.henrygrimes.com. Thanks, all, and Happy New Year!

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Does anyone know if Henry has a website?:bag:

Just kidding, Margaret.... good to see Henry getting his due.
    PS.... great website. Pics of Henry with several dozen of my favorite musicians.

6. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    It would be great if he recorded more, I just tracked down the bass quartet with him, William Parker, Sirone and Alan Silva, Chares Gayle guets on saxophone. Great cd. He did a nice cd with Dennis Gonzales.
    I couldn't get into that Marc Ribot cd at all, No fault of Henry, however.
    I'd love to hear a duo with Henry and fellow master Like Gayle or Joe McPhee.

7. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Good to hear that.........I've been checking out the Ribot CD as well......I thought it was pretty bad, an unhealthy reach........pretty terrifying actually......I'll check out some of these other sets of music to get a better idea of Henry's own music.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I always thought Marc Ribot sounded like he was playing a mic-ed up set of bedsprings.

9. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    That would actually be an improvement. To me he sounds like a studio guitarist with a foot in too many different camps to make a definitive statement.

10. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    For what it's worth, one of my kitty cats actually hid in terror under the bed right after I put the CD in the player!

11. cassidyholden

cassidyholden

Feb 21, 2004
    I saw Henry play with Bill McHenry at the jazz standard, and with Cecil Taylor at iridium (thanks marg!). Absolutely incredibe shows .. very deep. He's a true bass player, a great musician, and a really nice guy. It was great and timely for me to make contact with the bass lineage represented in him. I look forward to more of the same!

btw, re: Mark Ribot .. I was reading in AAJ nyc that he once did a concert called "New music for old guitars that don't work". He's one of my favorite players of all time. He can really get inside and outside the notes, and the intention thereof. Check out zorn's book of heads, or masada guitars.