Henry or the Senior?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Nov 3, 2001.

1. I was wondering, what do you guys think, Henry the 8x8 or Goliath Sr? I use a 5 string Czech and play many styles.
  2. mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I love my Henry. It sounds great and is very versatile. The eight speakers couple for great low end, and the 8" drivers are extremely fast and articulate. I play rock/blues/punk with one band, and jazz/blues/fusion with the other and it covers both bands very well.

However, I've never tried a Sr, so I really can't compare the two.
  3. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    id go with the senior. super punch and deeper than the henry. its all personal preference though. get the one you like best. :)
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I'm pretty crazy about my Senior, too. I've had fantastic results with it. Even though it's a little bigger, it's actually more portable than a 4x10, but of course the Henry would be the same. The Henry I tried didn't have the punch and bottom that the 6x10 had.
  5. I like the Sr better also... but to be fair, I didn't try the Henry for very long. I was switching from an Ampeg SVT-II/8x10 rig and felt that the Sr had a little more of that "boom". Cleaner and more deliberate than the Ampeg but still had balls when I wanted it!
  6. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I think the Henry has MORE bottom than the Sr., IMO!! Also I find the Sr. to be very boxy sounding, similiar to a Carvin 4X10. But I really like all the other SWR cabs....
  7. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    well, as ive said a bunch of places before, if youre doin metal, one henry is not the answer. two would be cool, but thats a bit big for most people.
  8. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Yeah, two would be good or add a Big Bertha...
  9. Henry the 8x8!! If for no other reason than...it`s got like EIGHT speakers dude,EIGHT!!!That`s 4 more than a 4x10!!! Why,it`s like 2 4x10s.

:rolleyes: :p

Sorry,never played thru either one of them thar new fangled ampLIfiers.I hear good reviews about both of them...I know,I know...come back when you play thru `em kid.:mad:
  10. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    neither, get 2 Goliaths OR 1 Goliath and either a Big Ben, Son of Bertha, Bag End 15 or 18, or an Eden 15 or 18. great combinations there.
  11. I was just at one of the local music stores, and they had 2 used Henrys, both sitting on top of a Son of Bertha. I think this might of been my old bass teachers rig, but I am not sure. That would be an awesome wall of sound-18 speakers in the size of 2 8x10s. I will have to go back to check on the price. What do you think something like these would go for? The older ones with the black grills, in fair-good condition? Thanks!

Anyways, I think I would go with the Senior, unless I had the 15 under the henry. Those 8s just dont have the bottom of 10s.

12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well..i've only played thru a henry, and it was thru a mobass and a fender precision deluxe 5 string so it's nowhere close to my rig, but i thought it had a bunch more bottom than my whole stack (goliath jr & triad) and that's even with the poopy sounding mobass instead of my IOD/DCM setup. my only concern for me is running 1k watts into the henry - i think i only need about 500 to be heard onstage with my band, but that could be pushing it. but phogchris - didn't you run a 750 into your henry?

13. I figure that which ever i get, eventually i would add a Big Bertha, but i can't afford that all at once. I guess another option would be to get a Big Bertha and later add on of the other two?
  14. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Yes, i used to run a BASS 750 into a Henry, eventually, the cab died on me, maybe too many watts at too high a volume, I don't know. I am currently in love with the Big Bertha and plan on running two of those, but I can't run them off one 750, i am very frustrated at the moment!!!!
  15. More then 500 watts will toast a Henry.
    Been there, done that.
    Replaced speakers, feel better now.
    Lived and learned.
    The Henry IS a keeper.
    My favorite cab.
    The eight's allow yourself to be heard on stage.
    And throws great sounding, punchy bass to the back of the room.
  16. How much power do you plan on putting into this cab? The Henry, Goliath Sr. and the Big Bertha use the same box and all weigh in the same range. The Henry handles 480w whereas the Goliath handles 1000w. According to SWR's specs the Henry actually will go lower than the Goliath (35HZ vs. 55 Hz.).

And the statement that 8's don't have the bottom that 10's have is just not true. I have had no complaints from my band about lacking low end after switching from my 10's to my 8x8. In fact they like the 8x8 more. They all said that the cab was louder, had more punch and sounded smoother than the 4x10's I was running.

The best thing for you to do (if you can) is A/B them both and decide what sounds better to you. I tried several different SWR cabs before buying and the Henry worked for me.
  17. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Don't forget, what sounds awesome in the store might not sound the same mixed with drums, vocals, and a Marshall (as many triad owners will attest.)
  18. Very true! I love the way the Triad sounds but it doesn't seem to cut it alone. For me the Henry is great but YMMV.
  19. It sounds like several people misunderstood the point I was trying to make. When I said the Senior has more "boom"... I wasn't neccessarily refering to the frequencies between 35 and 55 Hz. It's more of a character to the voice of the cabinet. An SVT 8-10 cab "booms" but does not have a frequency response even as low as the Senior. The Henry does have ample bottom, and yes probably even more than the Sr. it's just a bit more refined than I care for.

I don't wanna say anything bad about Carvin, but I've never experience "boom" from one!

...of course, this is all just my opinion. :)