Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Henry Rollins' bassists'.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Mar 29, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Who were Herny Rollins' bass players? I know he had a black guy for a long while, but a white guy after and before the black guy. Either way, they all were really awsome, just who are they. Definately underrated....

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Melvin Gibbs was the black guy right? He was awsome.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    He was in Defunkt?! Kewl!

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    He also used to play with Sonny Sharrock.
    Check out Sonny Sharrock Band - Live in New York.
    Great disc, with DUAL drumming (Pheroan Aklaff and Abe Speller).

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Also-
    Sharrock's Seize The Rainbow...
    Aklaff is a monster.

6. I love Melvin Gibbs playing. He plays with great feel, conviction, originality, tone, and has excellent note choices. He may not do any solos much but I know he can, he did a brief one when I saw him with the Rollins Band live. I wish that line-up would of stayed together. I just borrowed a copy of "SEIZE THE RAINBOW" By Sonny Sharrock. Great stuff. I love Sonny's playing as well. That cd is great but is out of print and hard to find. I want to hear that live In NYc one. Check out his band Harriet Tubman

7. God, I LOVE Sonny Sharrock. i was so crushed when he died. Look for the backing tracks he did for "Space Ghost coast to coast" for some more of his terrific music. That recording is a bit on the obscure side and you'll probably only find it with Kazaa or something.
    Melvin Gibbs is a monster of a player and "my song" from "Seize the Rainbow" is still something I play when the mood strikes me. Find him also on a few Roar recordings most notably "Alfonia Timms and his flying tigers" for some whacky NY black rock funk stuff. Another cool one is "Power Tools" with Frisell and Ronald Shannon Jackson; one of my all time favs.
    Andrew Weiss was a big influence on me. Check out the two "Gone" albums on SST with him and Sim Cain playing intense instrumental prog-punk-jazz; "Gone II" is my fav. His best pressing IMO is still "Wartime" with Mr.Rollins. It is a one-off on Chrysalis and is ALL bass with Hank's vox. Trippy hiphop beats, fuzzed out, heavily filtered bass and a version of the Dead's "Franklin's Tower" that would scare any hippie good (nothing wrong with hippies...) I saw him live with Ween once and it was a hoot. He uses an Ibanez Fat Cat incidentally...in case you wanted to cop his sound?

[​IMG]

8. Andrew Weiss is really good as well. I heard he once took lessons from Percy Jones. I have the "Wartime" Cd. I have been looking for that band Powertools forever, do you know anywhere I can find it? It's long out-of-print. I can not even find it ever to download either. A friend told me about it, and I am fan of all three musicians involved.

9. I love all of the Sonny Sharrock as well. Have you heard "Ask The Ages" With Pharoah Sanders, Elvin Jones and Charnett Moffett on Upright? It was produced by Bill Laswell. I have a cd of Moffett's where he does the US National Anthem on fuzzed out Upright, ala Hendrix.

10. I like the studio "Last Exit" album w/laswell, Shannon-Jackson, Brotzman and Sharrock allot. ask the Ages is another classic.
    Cool that you have "wartime." Not many folks know about that.Do a search for the Power Tools thing maybe...It's great.

11. yeah I like Laswell's playing and Last Exit too. Powertools is just really hard to find. I will keep looking. I see in your profile you like Jah Wobble. I am going to see him later this year. should be good.

12. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    didn't gibbs also use a flanger, cause i swear its there on "liar". also what albums did gibbs play on? thanks

13. Gibbs plays on WEIGHT and COME IN AND BURN. The latter is my favorite by the Rollins Band. Gibbs tone on it is great and as usual he plays really good lines.

14. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    It's great to see some discussion of Sonny Sharrock/Melvin Gibbs! :) I've got to thank JimK for suggesting I check out 'Ask The Ages' (I was checking out a lot of Pharoah Sanders at the time) - it's definitely one of my favourite records - it's heartbreaking to think that Sharrock was on the point of a major career revival just before his death. :(

[​IMG]

I do have a copy of the Power Tools trio CD - I must admit to downloading it from that old 'Audiogalaxy' system. It's not really my cup of tea - just seems a bit lacking in energy to me, and I am not too keen on Frisell's Americana/country influences anyway. Frisell's replacement in Power Tools was ex-Miles man Pete Cosey. There is a bootleg recording out there somewhere of Cosey/Gibbs/Shannon-Jackson - I would love to hear that!

PS. Here's a pic of Cosey sitting in with Melvin Gibbs' Liberation Theology:

[​IMG]

15. great pics. I love "Ask The Ages" as well. Charnett Moffett's bass work is killer as well. Sonny played with so much passion and energy. I love how he could be really dissonant and outthere, yet come back and play beautiful melodies as well. I have yet to hear Powertools, but I like Frisell so I won't have a problem with it I am sure, I would love to hear the recording with Pete Cosey as well. I have heard the Spach Ghost recordings as well as watch that show. Great work by Sonny as usual, I wish I could of seen him play.

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Another great album, I have that on vinyl - I should revive that ol' record player.

17. Never thought I'd hear someone accusing a recording with Ronald Shannon Jackson as lacking in energy! Some of the tunes are a bit of that Frisell/atmospheric thing and a bunch are wild, over the top explosive emoting. Cool album IMO.
    I was lucky enough to catch The Sonny Sharrock band on maybe his last tour(?) in Vancouver BC at the town Pump. This was just after "Highlife." So great and I still thank my lucky stars.
    I have a couple of Space Ghost MP3's if anyone wants 'em...

[​IMG]

18. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    This was what I was trying to get at - there's too much atmospheric/ambient stuff on the album to make it a satisfying, well-rounded listen (for me).

A little bit of Sharrock trivia for you:
    After his death, there was a special episode of 'Space Ghost' broadcast that showed Space Ghost and someone from Sonic Youth just sitting listening to Sharrock's music, and that's all!

19. I saw Rollins Band live in 1995 with Melvin Gibbs on bass and he was great, but Andrew Weiss just floored me when I first heard him. His bass line on "Grip" from The End Of Silence is in my all-time top 10. I've been trying (and failing) to nail that vibe for quite some time!

20. I couldn't believe my ears when i heard that Gibbs had taken the Rollin's gig. I thought it was damn exciting that he would commit himself to a project so different from his previous outings. Can't say that any of the Rollin's band records have really done it for me in a big way but that line-up had "supergroup" status for me. I had allot of respect for them because of that. Oh yeah, Melvin played barefoot on the tour that I saw them at in Vancouver BC. and he's big....real big. A big black mofo of a player..quite the prescence on stage, fit right in.
    When I was lucky enough to catch Andrew Weiss on tour with Ween I was just beside myself. he was so whipped up, but then so was the crowd in Portland Ore. Wild night that ended with the drummer and Weiss building a huge mountain of drums, amps and instruments in the centre of the stage, hosed down thoroughly with beer. This was right after "Chocolate and Cheese" was released and the band was smokin'!
    No body here heard the first two Gone albums with Greg Ginn, Sim Cain and Weiss? You're in for a treat. And....I found online samples!! Heavy punk-jazz with the bass waaay upfront, woohoo! (hope this works.)
    Gone II; http://www.jandr.com/JRMusicAlbumPa...ption=GONE&Title=GONE+II+-+BUT+NEVER+TOO+GONE
    A Real Player clip; http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurlPNM.exe?/isdnlink/~ff-600015/0061881_0101_00_0007.ra

[​IMG]

First album is not so bad either but a little less "outside" maybe;
    http://www.jandr.com/JRMusicAlbumPa...E&Title=LET'S+GET+REAL+REAL+GONE+FOR+A+CHANGE