Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

henry the 8 by 8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, May 27, 2001.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    i play in a loud, heavey metal band, and am getting a henry 8x8. i havent had a chance to play through one, or the one im getting (the guy lives out of state) but ive heard lots of good things about these cabs. so im not passing it up at this price. will 350 watts to this one cab be enough for playing gigs and stuff? anyone on here have one? i cant wait tog et mine. but just trying to find out if i will need a bigger amp to run it. thanks

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've heard a lot of good things about them, too. I think 350 watts ought to be enough for it, but you're not going to have a lot of headroom. Just don't crank your amp into clipping.

3. how much bottom does it give...i would expect tons of punch, but not enough bottom.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually, the Henry gets a pretty fair amount of low-end. The thing to keep in mind here is that all of the speakers work together, sort of like one big speaker, so it's a pretty good air-mover with eight of those 8" speakers pumping out notes. It won't get that big FAT tone a 15" gets, but for cutting through in a loud band with distorted guitars, it's a good choice. Just keep Munji's admonition about not running your amp into clipping in mind, that's a sure way to fry a few drivers!

5. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    I've played several times with the Henry the 8 x 8", and I was pretty amazed how that cab sounds, I've played with an Eden Traveler, and another 15" Cab, and I couldn't ask for more, I've putted it so the upper cab sound more Mid Range and the 15" get most of the bottom. N e wayz, is a great cab.

6. Rated at 96 SPL, the Henry 8x8 isn't a particularly loud cabinet, SPL-wise. The Henry is near the bottom of the major manufacturer's cabinets for comparative loudness.

For example, the Euphonic Audio VL-310 is rated at 106 SPL which will literally sound twice as loud as the Henry using the same wattage. The VL-310 is -3dB at 39 Hz. The Goliath Senior is 110 SPL, the Eden D-810XLT is 108 SPL, and the D-410XLT is 106 SPL.

I keep a spreadsheet of cabs by SPL and other specs. It is available on my site as the Musician's Reference.

http://www.ofgb.org

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    the 8x8 is a hell of a mid sized :)rolleyes: ) cabinet, and to my ear, they are extremely loud! They have a LOT of throw, and cut through like hell. I'd definitely get one if I thought i need it. Great sounding cabinets.

8. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Hi, B! I saw these ratings, too. I'm very skeptical about the 110 dB from the Goliath, Sr. The Goliath III and Megoliath (which, I believe, use the same drivers) don't perform anywhere near that figure, so it makes me think 110 is a typo. The Eden numbers seem pretty remarkable, too. This brings me to my main point: measuring sensitivity does not seem to have any standard procedure, as far as I've seen - at least in bass amp circles. The best idea I've gotten is that it is done at 1 kHz, with a steady sine wave. Then there's the business of how to actually measure the input power. Some measure voltage and current to get the wattage (which should take phase angle into account), and others just measure voltage and derive wattage from knowing the impedance. In my mind, there seems to be a lot of latitude for interpretation or fudging.

Next problem: at 1 kHz, a lot of bass drivers and cabinets get quite directional. The radiation pattern at that frequency can be quite different than those several octaves lower - and perhaps even "beams" the sound forward. I'm now alluding to the difference between *sensitivity* and *efficiency*. So if directivity changes greatly between the measured frequency and those more typical of bass fundamentals, how do we really know how loud the cabinet will be? It's another example of characterizing a complex phenomenon with one number. Have you given this some thought? What's your view? I have a lot more to talk about here.

- Mike

9. You should really try to play through one first. They don't have a whole lot of bottom, and are very midrangey. But if that's what you're looking for, go for it.

10. I have no idea what is behind their specs, could be bald faced lies for all I know.

However, when they state 1 watt at 1 meter, that is fairly descriptive. What they don't state, and you are dead on with this, is the frequency of measurement. JBL has very detailed statements of measurement, including the frequency sweep, etc.

Any bass cabinet measured at 1 KHz is measuring the tweeter. It would be easy to get a 110 SPL from a horn driven device. Not having a criminal mind (or a marketing mind) it never occurred to me they could measure at 1 KHz and then omit mentioning that fact. Lawyer crap. It would be "legal" but hardly ethical.

This reinforces my point about wanting to see full disclosure from the manufacturers about how they spec their boxes.

11. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Not true. Many cabinets do not even have a tweeter, and some that do have crossover frequencies well above 1 kHz. And a lot of woofers are still flat well above 1 kHz. I agree with you, however, that it is much easier to get high sensitivity measurements from a tweeter (particularly horn types). But even without any tweeters, one can find many examples of directivity lobes from woofers that would mislead people into thinking that the sensitivity is indicative of the 3-space output at all the cabinet's frequencies of operation.
    Agreed. This is why it would be nice for a bass magazine to report full lab tests on products the way Stereo Review and (better) Audio magazine used to do on hi-fi components.
    - Mike

12. I have an Ampeg 8x8 cabinet that I bought after I had tried out a couple of 4x10 cabs. It actually has a deeper sound than the Ampeg pro 410 I tried, and that's not just me saying that. The other 5 people in the music store at the time were astounded at the difference. I don't know the spl rating on it compared to the henry, though. As for the amp, I have a 350 watt Peavey mkVIII that was fine until I started playing with an alt band that plays a lot of heavier stuff. You're gonna want a bigger amp.

13. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    hey iwantabass -

i own an swr bass 750 and henry 8x8. i played tons of amps before i bought, and this sounded best to me. it's really tight, not too bad to haul around (built in casters help, and one person can lift it for a short haul if need be), and as far as bass response, you can raise hell on the low B all day and it satisfies. i bought it because i liked the tone better than any other cab i played thru. i like that you can actually discern the pitch on the low end.

as far as running it with 350 watts, swr recommends using the 8x8 with their bass 350, so i think you're pretty hooked up with 350 watts. it's nice to have the extra headroom of the 750 though.

interesting side note - when i got my bass 750, i realized fairly soon that the turbo bass and transparency switches simply did not do anything (that's what ya get for spending a grand, eh!?). so i called swr, and they referred me to a warranty repair center about an hour and a half from me...i haven't had time to get there yet, but i will soon. i'm sort of pissed about it, so they'd better make it right.

besides that, i'm all about my rig.

14. My SM400-S and Henry 8x8 kicks.
    There's really no other cabinet quite like it.
    Plenty of "pant leg flapping" power, floor shaking bass, great combination of stage presence that throws to the back of the room. Great tone.
    The eights really pack a punch.
    SPL's don't mean squat. Some great sounding speaker cabinets in the have SPL's similar to the 8x8, many others are overrated.

15. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

First things first mid cuts and the 8x8 cuts well, the SWR 350 is 350watts at 4 ohms and the henry is a 4 ohm cab, I dont have one but I have played with one and I liked it alot, I use 2 goliath cabs but the henry sounded just as good, the bottom is good but if you have a sound system with 18 subs you will get what I think will be the best of both worlds !