1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Herbie Flowers bassline on "Walk on the Wild Side"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JIO, Oct 31, 2013.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Very cool! Herbie is a very creative dude.

3. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Nice; thanks for posting.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yes!

Bass Player did a transcription to "Space Oddity"...I looked through it & then dug out the album & listened to the tune...for probably the 1st time in 35(or more?) years. Wow.

Here's a wiki blurb about his job on "Rock On"-
    "Herbie Flowers' bass guitar is inflected with a very obtrusive echo effect, unusual for bass guitar, which contributes to the recording's unsettled, dislocated feel, which is further intensified by haunting strings and a soulful Motown-esque male voice in occasional harmony".

5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Very cool, thanks for sharing!

6. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    :cool: Space Oddity, Walk on the Wild Side, and Rock On? That's a full resume right there. Word is he also played that fabulously down and up-tuned bassline on Nilsson's early '70s rocker Jump Into the Fire. Hell, yeah!

I once had a brief solo spot at a benefit gig where any willing band members were allotted a slot at the beginning of the ~4-hour show to do their own thing. I was playing double bass in an acoustic punk band (yes, you read that correctly), and I included an octave pedal and digital delay pedal on my DB signal and bowed Rock On. In retrospect, I'm not sure I did Herbie any justice.

7. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    yes, very cool. Thanks

8. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    +1

9. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Awesome post. Thanks.

10. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I don't think I've heard "Jump Into the Fire" in at least 20 years (let alone thought about it) but remember liking it. Went straight to YouTube of course, and I'm blown away by it more now than when it was new.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...wow, had forgotten about "Jump Into The Fire", too!

12. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    I ran across Jump into the Fire by accident about a week ago. I hadn't heard it in about 20 years as well. If you look around on youtube, in addition to the original version, there's a different version from the "Son of Dracula" film from '74. Klaus Voorman on bass, Moonie on drums, and John Bonham on cowbell :eek: with Nilsson banging away on the keys

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No Treble just announced that the Herbie Flowers feature is their best-read feature in their history. Way to go, Herbie!

Way too much echo on Nilsson's voice in that "Son Of Dracula" version.

14. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Yeah, Herbie is a newly-added favorite of mine. It turns out I really liked his work all along and just never knew it was him.

Agreed on the echo, but I've listened to it a few times in the past few days and it's grown on me. My bet is that the soundtrack is just not very good at this point (if it ever was) and it's an odd combination of echo and "muffledness," if I can use that term. Pretty rockin' performance, though.

15. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    dont forget diamond dogs a great album we are the dead is one of my favorite bowie songs simple but so rich wow the verses alone so pretty then the chorus builds into a monster

16. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    Herbie works his magic on Jeff Wayne's War of the worlds musical.

Sid s likes this.
  17. Herbie is amazing! He did a good bass line in "Walk on wild side" with some nice rythm variations. I ever liked the double bass and bass guitar playing together in that song.

There´s no doubt Herbie´s great!

18. MartinG1957

MartinG1957 You can never have too many bones....

Aug 5, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Sky!
    Excellent -and even a Tuba Solo :)

19. Konza

Konza

Jun 16, 2013
    Great Herbie bass on this track

10cc likes this.