1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Herbie Flowers/Lou Reed

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by LouisF, Oct 28, 2013.

1. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Creating the bass line to Walk on the Wild Side:

Louis

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Ha! No wonder playing the "composite" bass line is such a bear!

3. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes that is a a classic duo bass arrangement! I read an interview with Lou Reed recently. He mentioned Herbie with high praise..seems that many years ago Herbie had played a particular note on a tune, and Lou asked him to change it. Herbie refused and told Lou that in 10 years Lou would understand it..and indeed it turned out to be true. RIP Lou.

4. That is great. I am more interested in the restrained beauty and grace of the low line than the 10th, although of course that 10th gives the lines its enduring qualities. I would have played 2x as many notes, with 1/4 the effect.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Hmm, that story was related by Al Kooper in his autobiography Backstage Passes & Backstabbing Bastards. Great pic of Herbie rolling up a spliff in that book, too :smug:

6. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    haha..Al Kooper tells a good story and loves to pull legs..always charming..sort of the Jelly Roll Morton of blues rock! Herbie Flowers is quite a great musician..his tracks with Nilsson, his acoustic bass on Elton John's first album, I listened to his track recently on LR's "Perfect Day", pretty much anything he's done through the years is top notch...the impression I've gleaned from few HF's interviews over the last 10 years is that he really digs acoustic bass more than anything now.