Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

herbie hancock/chameleon effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wingslax, Sep 21, 2003.

1. wingslax

wingslax

Jun 18, 2003
    So, does anybody know what effect the bass player uses in the recording of chameleon. it sounds like a slight wah to me, but im not too sure...

2. It's really a Moog Synth, but you can recreated it using a Korg G5, or an Akai Deep Impact. These 2 give the best recreation of the sound IMHO.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The answer is that the bass player (Paul Jackson) used no effects in the recording of Chameleon. The opening bass riff is played by Herbie Hancock on keyboards.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Paul is the only constant on that whole album. He holds it down while everybody else goes off making werid noises and pushing/pulling the beat. No effects on his bass, but man! Tons of crazy stuff on the keys.

5. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    off topic but...what are your thoughts on the dean edge 5 improv you have? I have the 4 improv, in blue, and really think it is a wonderful instrument. ever compare it to the spector czechs? i'm under the impression it's nearly identical. (ps--i have a hartke 5000 and think Paul "action" jackson is about the funkiest dude on the planet!)

6. wingslax

wingslax

Jun 18, 2003
    i think this bass is killer...i got it for like 450 bucks off ebay...its trans black, and with the gold hardware it look sso sweet...i also filed off some of the frets cuz they were too high for my taste...but overall, the bass really soudns amazing...you can get basically any tones you want on it...the emg's bring out the fullness of the low-b, but i dont usually use too much of the bridge pickup, it sounds too fender-crap-like for me...you can get like every tone ever with it though...it weighs a decent amount, but hey, its not bad...if you wanna know anything else about it...respond again

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I play Chameleon with my band.
    I use the Akai Deep Impact with excellent results.

8. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I was able to cop that sound with this effect pretty well. Damn, that is a great tune.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But the question was actually what did the bass player use - not the keyboard /synth player!

No effect is going to make your playing as funky as Paul Jackson - only practice and and understanding of grooves/what the drummer is doing etc.

10. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Hooray!