1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Herbie Hancock Hang up Your Hang Ups Tabs

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by peaveybxp, Mar 16, 2009.

1. peaveybxp

peaveybxp

Mar 16, 2009
    Does anyone know where I can find the tablature for Herbie Hancock's Hang Up Your Hang Ups? My friends and I are attempting to play the song, but I can't find the tabs anywhere. Thanks :bassist:

2. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Use your ears! I'm going to sound like a jerk here, but seriously - it has to be said. Music is about listening. If you can't pick up relatively simple things by ear, how can you play music? I honestly wouldn't want to play with anyone (or listen to them, for that matter) who can't hear the music they're playing. And anything funk or soul related? This music is all about feel. So forget the tabs and use your ears. Please.

3. peaveybxp

peaveybxp

Mar 16, 2009
    I'm mainly asking because I've just started to play a few months ago, and I haven't really been able to play by ear. It's not that I can't read music or anything such as that, I've played the sax for years, but at this stage in my playing I haven't been able to guess the notes. Once I see them and understand the beat, I'm good to go.

4. peaveybxp

peaveybxp

Mar 16, 2009
    Does anyone have the music? It would be appreciated it you could send it to me or send me a link. Thanks

5. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Yikes

xXColaXx likes this.
  6. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah, I agree - that was a little harsh on my part. I sometimes forget that some folks just want to play music for the joy of playing music and that not everyone has a strong ear. And yes, I understand the point about not being able to find the notes quickly on your fingerboard (and that you may, indeed, have a good ear). Sorry for the outburst. :bag:

7. peaveybxp

peaveybxp

Mar 16, 2009
    No problem. But now, does anyone know where I can find the tabs or music for the song?

8. ZamBa

ZamBa

Dec 18, 2008
  9. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    There's some wicked grooves on that transcription page.

I'd forgotten how funky Paul Jackson is. I used to have the RHYTHM COMBINATION video on VHS - but it got stolen - trying to get hold of it now is like getting hen's teeth.