Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Herbie Hancock-"Sextet"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 6-stringer, Jul 29, 2000.

1. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Just picked this one up. GREAT album. Moog and ARP heavy funk grooves that are so thick,
    you could cut them with a knife. I love those old anolog sounds.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...are you talking about SEXTANT? With Buster Williams? If so, yeah, that's some bad stuff!
    Have you got THRUST? It's another Hancock album from the same era(w/ Paul Jackson & Mike Clark).
    BTW-If you're into checking out Buster Williams, pick up the Aug issue of BASS PLAYER; I just picked up PINNACLE...cool release from the mid-'70s.

3. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    oops, sextant. yea i've got thrust-another great one. I've been digging Herbie a lot lately.

4. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Don't know if it's available anymore, but in the same vein as those previously mentioned, try The Prisoner. Quickly became one of my favorite HH discs.

(On Blue Note)

-GM

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    THE PRISONER is still available...what not buy the COMPLETE BLUE NOTE HANCOCK box set from ColumbiaHouse.com for $29, though!

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ed-
    I dunno, my copies of SEXTANT and THRUST(on cd)say 1998! [​IMG]
    Seriously, SEXTANT sez 1973; THRUST sez 1974.

7. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    Hey folks,
    Since you guys are talking about HerbieH here's a question for you:
    Which album has a live version of "Hang Up Your Hang Ups?"
    An old piano teacher gave me a tape of miscellaneous funk tunes and that was the first one on it. The bassist was unbelievable - I think it Paul Jackson.
    Thanks.
    Cheers.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey Brad-
    Isn't VSOP an acoustic outing w/ Ron Carter?
    Too, I checked my copy & didn't see "Hang Up Your Hangups"...
    There is an import called FLOOD(?)w/ Paul Jackson, Mike Clark, et al that is a LIVE recording. Check out www.audiophileimports.com
    Search under "Herbie Hancock".

Punch In-
    I brought Hancock's MWANDISHI: THE COMPLETE WARNER BROS RECORDINGS to work today; more cool Funk/R&B/jazzy stuff from the late '60s/early '70s.

[This message has been edited by JimK (edited August 02, 2000).]

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ed-
    The VSOP(black cover)I have is the acoustic one w/ Freddie & the boys from the Miles' Quintet; all acoustic...somehow, I missed the out on the VSOP LIVE album(while typing this, I did recall what that cover looked like).
    Thanks for clearing that up...

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Jim.....mission accomplished, down periscope [​IMG]

*submerge*

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bought Hancock's FLOOD(+ the re-issue of Jaco's debut...more on that later).
    FLOOD, a LIVE recording, does have "Hang Up Your Hangups"...clocks in at 20 minutes, too!

...now segueing into Jaco's debut via Herbie's playing/liner notes on that album-
    the remaster has two bonus cuts("6/4 Jam" & an alternate version of "Used To Be A Cha-Cha").
    Pat Metheny wrote the liner notes this time; he had an interesting comment about Jaco's bio(called it a "botched biography"). Hmmmmm.

13. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    When I played trumpet...I was into Freddie in a big way, so I listened to everything he played on with HH. He always had some great players with him.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Me too. Hubcap is one of the reasons I switched to bass, I could play some of his stuff, I just couldn't see where he was coming from. Mimicry was not a goal of mine;)

15. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I just borrowed Sextant from a friend of mine, and I must say that this album is the closest thing I've heard to Miles' brand of fusion. Especially the longest song that takes up the second side of the album ( I cant remember the name of the song). A nice psychedelic stew with loads of fuzz-wah bass grooves that reminds me of "On the Corner" but not as over-the-top.

16. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I have VSOP on vinyl I swear the tracks must have holes through the record. I love both the disks!!! Wonderfull bassplaying, and overall musicianship. While on the subject of Herbie Hancock, Empyrean Isles has some of my favorite jazz/fusion tunes on it. It has the sampled Cantaloupe Island on it. Awesome tune!

Slam
    I just bought On the Corner...I am in love...you are right about the great fuzz-wah stuff it is some quality 70's action.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Jim ,

Following your reccomendation here and the debate in the Paul Jackson thread, I got "Thrust" when I was in London today looking at gear. I do really like the bass and drum grooves and it's nice to have some more Paul Jackson - definitely worth having!

Thanks,