Herbie hancock

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by olps, Mar 20, 2002.

1. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    I really like chameleon, what Herbie Hancock c.d. would you recomend? thanks
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this belongs in recordings. i'll move it there presently. thank you very much, and enjoy your meal.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oops :rolleyes:

hey jeff or bw, a hand here? sorry. i took my doofus pill today.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What's your problem, John? Littering my Forum with stuff like this.:p
  5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    secrets,flood and the mid 60's miles albums with wayne,ron,and tony are mmm,mmm,mmm,good!

oh yeah and ton of other stuff. i was like six or seven when rockit came out and i used to love it. it doesnt get any rotation now but ive always really like herbie nonetheless
  6. Guy

Apr 26, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Maiden Voyage is a great album, but it's nothing like Chameleon. If you're only interested in the funky stuff, stick with the Headhunters stuff. If you're interested in 60s/70s modern jazz, by all means check out Maiden Voyage & his stuff with Miles, too.
  7. tnb

Jan 12, 2002
    New England
    What??? No mention of "Speak Like a Child"??? And what cd is "4am" on? Anyway, that is certainly worth aquiring.
  8. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i beleive it is on "mr. hands."
  9. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    'Sextant' is a great album! I think it's sometimes overlooked.
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agrre, dave-
    Sextant is a great album!

All 7 of Hancock's Blue Note albums are good listening, too-
    Takin' Off
    My Point Of View
    Inventions & Dimensions
    Empryean Isles
    Maiden Voyage
    Speak Like A Child
    The Prisoner

...you can pick all those up in a nice BOX SET(I lucked out & bought the box for $29 + shipping from ColumbiaHouse).

Related to Sextant is the Mwandishi Sessions...or the Complete Warners Archives(includes Fat Albert Rotundoa & Crossings).

Electrically, The Headhunters, Actual Proof, & Flood are 3 of my favorites...
  11. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Herbie has recorded on about two or three albums, I believe:D ----

I just picked one up that I think we all might find somewhat tasty: (or not)

w/ Wayne Shorter- "The All-Seeing Eye"
    with Mr. Ron Carter no less.

Ahhhhh- (jazz) Music!!!!!
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The All Seeing Eye is my favorite Wayne Shorter album!
    Don(RIP)Shorter has a tune on that album that just rips...

Anyone got a copy of Don Shorter's Orgasm album? It's OOP & I gotta have it! ;)
  13. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Herbie & Wayne & Ron....
    1 year earlier on "Speak No Evil"

also (taking over the thread!:D )
    not TOO shabby
    Wayne Shorter w/ McCoy Tyner & Reggie Workman
    on "JuJu" !!
    Good Stuff-

Is Don Shorter Wayne's Bro?
  14. Lipis Roman

Lipis Roman

Mar 5, 2002
    I love Treasure Chest, it's one of my favorite albums of his electric stuff. I dig the production of it as much as the material. If memory serves me correctly it was one of the first albums that Herbie really got his hands dirty on the production end.

Ostinato may be my favorite track on the album, dig that 15/8 funk, killer stuff!
  15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yep; I wondered why I didn't hear so much about him until someone over @Jazz Corner clued me in...very, very tragic story.

Archie Shepp's Four For Trane disc also has Don Shorter.

If you like "Ostinato"(Buster Williams?), you'll like "The Bump" from Buster Williams' Pinnacle album.
  16. Lipis Roman

Lipis Roman

Mar 5, 2002
    Yeah, it's Buster Williams alright. Pinnacle is a great album. You know of any other albums he's put out where he's wielding the Fender?

I've been meaning to pick up Crystal Reflections for quite a while. Even though it's accoustic which I'm not too into, I got hear how him and Ayers gel.
  17. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Thanks, for the info-Don't know if i should ask about the tragic story...
    Also tragic about Mr. (Wayne) Shorter's wife being aboard that airplane that crashed...

On a happier note, ("improvising" the thread)
    ever hear Freddie Hubbard's "The Black Angel"?

Not what you normally hear from him- pretty outside, w/ Reggie Workman , Kenny Barron, & percussion by "Patato" Valdes.
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm no AABA poster, either! ;)
    Not sure about that Hubbard tune...I'll have to check to see what I have in-stock here.
    You keep bringing up Reggie Workman...how 'bout Cerbral Caverns & Summit Conference?

Regarding Buster Williams playing a Fender...not sure, is he goin' electric on one of those VSOP albums? I have that one on vinyl stashed somewhere; I seem to recall him pictured with a white Jazz bass.