1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Herbs, Remedies, and Supplements

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Correlli, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I'm talkn legal stuff, non-prescription

What stuff do you use to enhance your life, fix ailments, manage a condition etc?

For me, i use Ginseng and Guarana for energy and motivation, and fish oil and glucosamine for me arthritis. esp the fish oil, it is the s**t for your joints and stuff.

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    +1 on the fish oil.

Omega 3 caps are good for you.

Astragalus.

And the number 1 fix all is Oregano Oil. Tastes horrible but fixes a lot of things.

3. I regularly take a blend of barley, hops and malt as a tonic againt being an uptight douche. :)

jthisdell, Luke19Boarder and D M C like this.
  4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    ha! I was waiting for that. There's more calcium in beer than milk - apparently.

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I take some Japanese stuff if I feel a cold coming on. I guess it works like Airborne except it actually works for me. Other than that I only drink and smoke herbs.

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Omega 3 Fish Oil for arthritis and cholesterol.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I take Valerian occasionally, for sleeping. I eat enough hot peppers for them to be considered a supplement, but I'm not sure what benefit they have other than moving the mail.

8. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Tran. I've no idea what it is in English. But Norwegians has been taking it for hundreds of years, and it's ****ing dope.

9. I would be adverse to putting anything in my mouth that starts with "Tran".

10. I've got so many meds & supplements now that my transparent shoe box isn't big enough to contain all the bottles:

Vitamin D - helped ease a lot of problems, depression, tennis elbow, general grumpiness, etc.

Vitamin B12 - great for hangovers & days where you just need some extra energy

Vitamin C - any signs of a head cold or sinus problems & I take take 1/day until it stops

Multivitamin - daily, cause the doctor said so, and my diet is awful

For 9 months or slightly more I've had inflammation from playing bass. Some with guitar, but more so with bass.

I finally solved that by taking fish oil in the evening & glucosamine in the morning.

Each is touted to help this problem, & the label on Glucosamine says 2/day, so I take half that & substitute the other with Fish Oil.

I also take a Calcium & Vitamin K supplement twice/week (same days as Vitamin D).

*bold is to highlight this for other players who may have a problem

Glucosamine & Fish Oil are also touted to help arthritis, which I do get a hint of sometimes.

TBH, for the past 6 months I was driving with one arm most of the time, because I didn't want to irritate my left (fretting) arm.
    I could literally feel the hint of pain in my elbow when gripping the wheel.
    As of this week, not a problem any longer, and I've been taking the Fish Oil / Glucosamine regimen for 5 days.

I also played guitar & bass for three hours yesterday, which has become my weekend norm.
    :thumbsup:

11. Parsley is useful. I drink it in tea form a lot. D-mannose cranberry extract is good for bladder issues. Ginger, turmeric with black pepper. I also use oregano oil from time to time, as well.

12. I've been taking a glucosamine supplement for 20 years. Right before I started, I was talking with a very athletic guy and endurance mountain bike racer I worked with who was in his early 30's. He mentioned that he had been taking a glucosamine supplement and stopped for a few weeks. He really felt the difference and want back to it. As I was about 20 years older, I figured - well, good for him, probably good for me. I started taking it and at age 67 I don't have any joint problems.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Water.
    Works wonders for me. So much so I can tell when I haven't had enough. As soon as I start catching up, I feel results immediately.

-Mike

btmpancake and Funky Ghost like this.
  14. That's one of the few things I do right with my diet, loads & loads of H2O. It became a habit when living in the tropics.
    It's also another great natural way to get over a hangover :roflmao:
    When I was a binge drinker I'd get up in the night & guzzle as much water as I could stand & it would ease the hangovers some.
    The worst hangovers were after a night of sleeping straight through & not indulging in copious amounts of water.

btmpancake likes this.
  15. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

For me, living in the city of trees, local bee pollen is a must. I never had allergies until I moved to Sacramento.
    As Mike said, 3 liters of water for me a day or I feel it.

I also subscribe to the brain foods notion. Perhaps because I happen to like them as well :)

Oily fish ( omega 3s )
    Walnuts
    Blueberries ( specifically but most are ok )
    Broccoli
    Avocado
    I'm not a big Kale fan but do eat Kale chips ( home made with sea salt and olive oil and garlic )
    Turmeric ( from the many curries I enjoy )
    Coconut oil ( also helps us older folk stay regular :D )

MJ5150 likes this.
  16. I think I read a study claiming that high intake of turmeric was a inhibitor of cancer.

Funky Ghost likes this.